View Single Post

Old 02-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Very Important: CBS, Concrete block and stuccco, versus vinyl frame construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla
Ouida:
IMO, those with CBS homes fared slightly better if they were in the tornado's direct path last year. But, note I said only slightly. Frame/vinyl homes may have been totally destroyed, whereas CBS structures probably lost their roof, but didn't lose the walls, etc.

I am fortunate to have come to TV when it was still possible to build to order. There was absolutely no question in my mind that CBS was the way to go. Perhaps that was influenced by having lived in a brick home nearly forever! I have never had the slightest regret. And, yes, the CBS did cost more than the equivalent frame/vinyl home would have, but my recollection is maybe only 10%. Well worth it, to me.

SWR
One of my criteria was to have a concrete house as well. Three little pigs and all.
As it is a single floor, I wasn't too concerned about regular painting.
There were certainly lots of concrete homes damaged by the tornado. I'd guess manufactured homes would fare worst, wood frame a little better, and CBS better still. But I'm not sure it would make much of a difference if the roof was off, the windows blown in and the contents sucked away!
I know there was a concrete villa across from the entrance to Sunset Pointe on Buena Vista that was razed after the tornado. I didn't see it before it was taken down, but did see the empty spot there. It's been rebuilt since. You want the tornado to miss you!!