View Single Post

Old 01-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Under the Affordable Care Act, a marketplace plan cannot reject you or charge you more because of a pre-existing condition.

villagetinker, what you are saying applies to Medicare supplement plans and the open enrollment period. You are right about being aware of timing enrollment.

The person who asked the question here is only 53. The ACA may possibly help her and even though SHINE is for seniors, perhaps they can direct her to some help. SHINE sounds like a good organization that helps many.

While I choose not to engage in political discussions, I must say that the ACA as it applies to pre-existing conditions has been life- changing and sometimes even life-saving for many who would have had no access to decent coverage due to a pre-existing condition.

While I recognize the ACA probably could be improved, I hope we do not have to witness a return to what those with pre-existing conditions once had to endure if they needed an individual policy and were not yet old enough for Medicare.

Again, I really do choose not to engage in political discussions. I stepped back in here to try to help clarify the understanding of pre-existing conditions under the ACA. Those who were helped, or know someone who has been helped, by that part of the ACA should let their representation to Congress know that, no matter who got your vote.

Boomer

PS: That really was intended as a comment on insurance coverage and not partisan politics so please.....