View Single Post

Old 06-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudit View Post
The thermostat probably has four wires: Red(low voltage line), Green (Fan relay), White (Heat relay) and Yellow (Cooling contactor). To wire in parallel, simple attach one of the dehumidistat wires under the yellow wire terminal(with the yellow wire) and one of the wires under the red wire terminal(with the red wire). Now your air conditioner will run if either the relative humidity rises above the setting you establish OR the temperature rises above the thermostat cooling setting (even if the relative humidity does not reach the setting you establish).

If you wire in series, you would disconnect the yellow wire and attach one of the dehumidistat wires to it with a wire nut and attach the of other dehumidistat wire to the terminal where the yellow wire was. In this situation, the air conditioner will run only if both the relative humidity rises above the setting you establish AND the temperature rises above the thermostat cooling setting. If the thermostat setting is not low enough, the air conditioner will stop running before the relative humidity desired is reached.

In either case, you probably need about 2 or 3 foot of 18/2 thermostat wire since the dehumidistat wires will not reach to the thermostat. Wire nut the thermostat wire to the dehumidistat wires to extend them to the tstat.

Check this site:

http://www.rancoetc.com/manuals/j10-809_wiring.pdf

It mentions things to consider when wiring in parallel and in series for a dehumidistat.

IN ALL CASES, MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF THE BREAKER FOR THE AIR HANDLER before touching the thermostat wires. You do not have to turn off the compressor breaker.

Good luck.

BTW, I wired mine in series because I wanted the humidity to control the air conditioner and not the temperature when I am away.
THANKS IAUDIT
THATS THE BEST EXPLANATION I'VE SEEN YET,,,,I PRINTED IT OFF AND INTEND TO USE IT .....

FUMAR ,,,,