View Single Post

Old 07-27-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I had a total knee replacement in Dec '08; fortunately, it all went well with no complications. The first few weeks are tough with pain, irregular sleep patterns, and general confinement. It's a must to do the physical therapy/rehab to regain full range of motion and strengthen muscles. I had 2 weeks of in-home therapy and 10 weeks of outpatient. My knee was particularly bad (very crooked) so I needed more rehab than most.

It's no fun, but, the whole ordeal was not as bad as I had feared. I turned a corner at about 6 weeks post op where life started to feel normal again... better sleep, able to walk around without any cane/assistance, no pain, etc. At 3 months post op I was cleared to do all activities.

Most docs will only do one knee at a time and wait 3 months between knees.

The only caution is everyone reacts differently ... to the surgery, development of scar tissue, amount of pain, etc.

Here is a web discussion board with a lot of information. Please realize that these types of boards get more 'complication' stories than are representative of reality, so, take it with a grain of salt. This board talks about a book on knee replacement (mine's out on loan) that was very informative.

Good luck.... you'll know when you are ready to get it done.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/onourfeet/messages/
You had me at your first sentence, that is what I wanted to hear, lol! As for the pain, irregular sleep and confinement, I feel all of those are happening right now, so.......might as well have the surgeries.

I am glad that your surgery was a success, that is always good to hear for future reference. I would like to get them both done at the same time but do not know yet if my doctor will do them both. It is not like I have a good leg to stand on if I only get one fixed, lol!
Thanks so much, I hope you enjoy your new found freedom with your knee.

Take care.