View Single Post

Old 08-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Gold member

I would like to address this golf cart insurance issue directly because I think it may be misunderstood and in many cases may be leaving some of you in a vulnerable situation. I’m not a insurance agent, but I take insurance seriously because I just don’t want to be in a situation where I’ll potentially lose everything I’ve worked for over so many years to a shrewd lawyer in a liability case.

Here’s the deal as I understand it. Feel free to jump in and correct me if I’m wrong.

All of you carry home owners insurance. And on that policy is coverage called “Personal Liability”. In my case it’s actually $500,000 and costs a paltry $21/year. This means that if anyone is injured or dies on my property somehow because of my negligence, my insurance company will pay up to that amount to settle the claim. It’s only $21/year and a huge amount of coverage because these types of claims are actually few and far between. But most importantly, understand that the injury/death must occur within the insured property. If you somehow cause injury/death to someone outside your property, it’s not covered. You’re on your own!

That said, it seems to me that some of you seem to be more interested in making sure that your golf cart is insured for damages to it rather than the liability you may be faced with in an accident. With 35,000 residents buzzing around on carts weighing 1500 pounds without seatbelts and reckless grandparents with children behind the wheel and on their laps, someone’s going to get hurt real bad and someone else is going to have to pay, probably you.

So I would appreciate it if those of you who have reported here that you only pay $50 or so a year for golf cart coverage, to actually look at the policy and let us know how much liability coverage it would provide if you and your golf cart cause personal injury to others.

I am sincere about this request.

Ed