View Single Post

Old 09-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadie View Post
You should be careful about getting an LSV just for the tax credit. If you want an LSV, it is a great deal. But if you don't, take a look a the extra cost over 5-10 years. I got a quote from Allstate for an LSV and it was around $65 per month. Plus add in the fees for License Plates and annual registration, and that tax credit is long gone after about 5 years.

I imagine you can just register it as an LSV for the first year, then drop back to golf cart status. Might violate some IRS rule, but can't imagine you would get caught.
That's weird, I called Allstate and they quoted me $120 - 160 per YEAR based on amount of coverage desired.

Using their figures (assuming 140/year), after 5 years, the total cost (including registration/tags) is $1325 versus $300 for a golf cart (assuming insurance for $60/year). This means an extra cost of $1025 over 5 years - which means a net savings of over $4,000 once the tax credit of $5,400 is figured in.

Yes, you are "required" to wear a seat belt, but I find that to be a good thing. I think people who ride around in their golf cart without one are taking a big risk and I would have to pay more for a golf cart with them added. Besides, now when I take a guest in the cart I can "blame" the state for making him wear a seat belt - thus lowering my risk of being sued for his medical expenses in the case of an accident.

Last edited by NJblue; 09-23-2009 at 12:11 PM.