View Single Post

Old 08-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I also do that stuff myself. So two options. Wait until you have the tools, or go buy the tools. I went and bought the tools I needed to move mine. Yes, now I have two of each, but the tools were cheaper then hiring it done and I know it was done right by my doing it. The cables and wires usually run stright down the wall, so moving them higher is fairly easy. You need wire cutters, sheetrock saw, screw drivers, putty knife, paint brush, spackle, and a few more. I had to buy a drill for mine because I wanted it on a different wall. But those tools are good to have here anyway until I move mine down.
My concern isn't the tools, it's the time and unfamiliarity of the construction. I assume it's not going to be easy getting into the attic (or crawl space) if needed with the cathedral ceilings. Looking at a couple of pictures a friend sent me during construction, the electrical code is different down there. In Mass, or at least when my house was built, all wiring came through holes drilled at the top plate of the stud wall and are stapled to the vertical studs. Down there, they run the wiring through the studs horizontally, using a lot less wire. Did you find enough slack to put a recepticle in that run of wire? I plan to use recessed plates so I can use ultra slim mounts and keep them close to the wall.