View Single Post

Old 12-28-2011, 06:17 PM

Ro-mac was out doing a punch list item on the garage door for my new house yesterday.

I got to talking to the tech while he was doing what he needed to do.

Bottom line - I had a wireless keypad, which controls both the garage door and the golf cart door, installed. Different 4 digit codes for each door. Codes stored in non-volatile memory (don't need to re-program every time you replace the battery). Re-programmable if you want to change codes. Uses a standard 9-volt battery (same as most smoke detectors use for backup). $48.10 installed, including Sumter County sales tax.

When I was young, I gladly exchanged my time to save money, and I would have done this install myself and saved a couple of bucks (once I ran around, burned up gasoline, and actually put my hands on the correct unit to install). I'm not young any more, and this time I gladly exchanged a few extra bucks to save time and aggravation.

$48.10 is pretty tough to beat, all things considered. Money well spent. Particularly since I also spent a few minutes talking to the young man and learned quite a bit that I didn't know about the care and feeding of garage doors.

Highly recommended.