View Single Post

Old 09-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Smile

I love to sew. Therefore, I volunteer for charities which involve sewing.

The Giving Dolls makes dolls for children in distress like ERs and children's hospitals, adoption, etc. I make clothes for the dolls and matching blankets(crocheted).

I work in the sewing room at Operation Shoebox where we make the bags and stockings to send to the soldiers.

Busy Hands/Happy Hearts makes all sorts of things for various charities sewn,crocheted or knitted or whatever stitchery one chooses to do. Here again, I do sewing of baby kimonos for preemies, dolls for the hospitals, bibs and carrots for arthritic for nursing homes.

Bear Ladies make teddy bears for Boggy Creek Camp for critically ill children. We also give them to Toys for Tots and other charities upon request. I sew the teddy bears for this charity.

You asked why? It really makes me feel good to be doing these things for others. The doll clothes are fun to see the creations I can come up with and they are so cute. When I hear stories and see pictures of the children holding and loving the dolls, it really warms my heart to know I have helped to give some comfort to a child in distress. The bears are a challenge to sew and are also very cute when finished. The kids at Boggy Creek decorate them and get comfort from them.