View Single Post

Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Loved it. Brought back good memories and so true!!!!!!!

1. Custom was wearing black for a year after husband’s death. No exceptions!
2. Grandmother didn’t speak fluent English and said "sangwich."
3. “Prince” is not spaghetti.
4. Nylons worn at ankles. LOL So true.
5. Wine sold at stores. LOL My father made his own and gave to family members.
6. A sin to eat meat on Friday’s.
7. Salad after dinner - My uncle did!!!!!
8. A friend of mine was beaten on the head with a broom after coming home drunk and being sick. He was in hs late twenties. LOL
9. Everyone did make their tomato sauce, didn’t they. LOL
10. What is macaroni without bread to dip in gravy. LOL
11. Uncles fought in a World War. One uncle fought the battle of the Islands, Coney Staten, Long. LOL.
12. Six male relatives named Joe. My family qualifies.
13. You relate on some level, admit it, to the Godfather and the Sopranos. I maka a meata ball you can't refuse! ...forrgetttabbboutit! badda bing! I admit it. Some people still have Godfather parties in the northeast. I have seen it so many times I can recite dialog. It is part of normal dialog for some people in the northeast.
14. Kids reached the height of my favorite aunt who was 4’ 11” but not my grandmother who was 6’ 1”. She was a big woman.

Thanks for posting this.

I grew up, take no offense, Guinnie Ghetto in Hartford, the South End. We learned to say Bless me Father in Italian, so we could fit in in the confessional! We ate fresh baked Italian bread from the bakeries on the way home school, or lemon ice... I love all your posts, brings back so many wonderful memories! Are any of you part of any of the Italian Clubs? We sure will be looking to join when we move in the spring! (By the way, my mom was 4'8"' ... And Aunt Dora was about 240 lbs! .... Could go on and on.....) how lucky we are to have the memories.....