Thread: cable companies
View Single Post

Old 03-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Veteran member

I've mentioned this before in a couple of other threads but a cable company is looked at the same way as a public utility. It requires a municipal franchise and can only operate within the single area of that franchise. Comcast is a true cable company. Brighthouse is a true cable company. Century Link is the telephone company, and like a cable company they too operate as a single area utility, however their area is almost always MUCH larger because phone companies tend to service multiple cities and states. Also up until only a few years ago telephone companies were NOT allowed to provide TV services as Century Link now does with Prism. Satellite companies are direct broadcasters and are not under the restrictions that cable companies & phone companies operate under. That is why in some areas you can get ComCast but not in others, the same for Brighthouse.

You have to find out which cable company serves your area. (There's only one per area) If for example your area is served by ComCast, you won't be able to get service from Brighthouse. Your choice would be ComCast, Century Link or one of the Sat-Casters such as Direct-TV or DishNet. If your area is served by Brighthouse you won't be able to get service from ComCast.