View Single Post

Old 02-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Default We want to buy this summer and move in the fall.

Hi,
I am new to the forum. We are from the Cleveland area and would like to buy a place before I retire in October this year (2014). My mom and dad have lived there for about 14 years. We are so very impressed every time we visit that we would like to make TV our new full time home.
I bought the eBook "Do not even think of moving to the villages without reading this first". The eBook have some very good tips and considerations.
I would like any advice from those who have been there and done it.
I have a home in Amherst Ohio that is paid for, my original plan was to sell our home then put our belongings in storage and look for, and buy a new home.
I am thinking I want to have a place to move into in the fall when I retire. I would like to come down this July buy a new or pre-owned home and take out a mortgage and when our home sells we can pay off most of the new mortgage.
I am changing my original plan for these reasons. We will have an address to send our furniture and belonging to and won't have to put things in storage then have to have it all moved again. If our home does not sell by winter, by the way this has been the most brutal winter I can remember and I don't want to be here for another miserable winter.
If I wait to buy after our current home is sold I would probably save some money on a larger mortgage that I can almost pay off with the proceeds. Also if our current home does not sell by next fall/winter we have a place to live next winter.
What pros and cons do you have for waiting to buy in TV until our current home is sold or should I buy this summer and move in the fall whether or not our old home is sold. I can afford a mortgage on the new home until the old one sells. I figure I will have to have to carry a small mortgage after the old home sells.