View Single Post

Old 10-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: RANCH VS DESIGNER HOMES and Floor Plans

Although I haven't looked at recent floor plans, having built here in early '05, I will relate that my memory tells me several things (which may or may not be precisely current):

* Ranch homes are inevitably frame with siding
* Designer homes may also be frame with siding, but block & stucco are also available, and, to my way of thinking they're preferable (the block/stucco was +/- $3,000 more).
* Several things that I considered necessary when I selected a floor plan; perhaps these will influence your decisions.
** As open a kitchen as possible; that is, only counter space between the working area and the living/dining area.
** Laundry machines inside, not out in the garage.
** Lanai open on at least two sides (otherwise, the potential for being a hot pocket).
** Lanai preferrably accessible from master bedroom as well as living room. [The Cat has permanent access from the bedroom; I use the living area to access the lanai ]
** Lanai should not face west, if at all possible! (The narrow side of mine does, but a roll-up/down shade helps for the few days during the hottest season when sitting out might be impossible due to the direct sun)

In the end, I bought a Gardenia model, which I absolutely adore. It not only allows for good entertaining (I can work in the kitchen while my guests are partying, and we can still all party together), but feels so open. After 42+ years in what is now a 105-year-old three-story with basement house, I feel liberated!

Good luck!