View Single Post

Old 10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: RANCH VS DESIGNER HOMES and Floor Plans

From the homes I viewed while visiting, I'm limiting my choices (and my budget dictates) to an Amarillo (ranch) or a Whispering Pine (designer). A Patio Villa feels just too confining for me. While I like privacy, I don't have pets that need an enclosed space (Courtyard Villa), and I prefer the openness a ranch or designer allows. Of course it's a personal choice, and you may want something totally different. I love the large open spaces of the new Whispering Pines (vs some older versions). The older version of the WP had a walled kitchen while the new models are open to the large living/dining spaces. It is a 2 bdrm w/den model (I also loved the French doors to the den ). If I need to use the den as a bedroom for guests at any time, I'll use the raised queen size air mattress I have. Or, I may even purchase a sleeper sofa for the den. I haven't yet fully decided how I'll use that room. I'm currently thinking for the computer, a bookcase or two/reading room, and display of my Disney art/collection. However, it's much more likely I'll purchase an Amarillo...more financially practical since it has plenty of room for just me.

While I prefer the look of the cement block/stucco (CBS), I will select a sided home (unless I come into some cash or hit the lotto before I purchase). I just think it's more practical. The CBS homes need to be repainted, from what I've been told, perhaps every ~7 years. While I recognize the insurance is cheaper on a CBS home, I don't think insurance savings would cover the costs of re-paintings. I want my pension to be able to stand up to the inevitable inflation that we'll all face. I will have a mortgage and I don't want to be house poor.

I love seeing sunsets, so I think that means I want a West exposure on the lanai. I'm not sure of this, however. I'm confused on which exposure would best allow viewing sunsets from the lanai. Typically, it would be facing West, but some other posts I've read here have confused me on which exposure would best serve me. Maybe someone on-line can educate me on this.

[color=purple]
HAPPY HUNTING FOR YOUR NEW HOME!