Are The Villages houses insulated for the cold

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Default Are The Villages houses insulated for the cold

We are new in TV and wondering if there is a problem with our house. The house was built in 2008. It seems to loose a lot of heat on cool nights. We set the thermostat at 68 during the day and turn it way down at night. On a typical night with a low of 45 degrees, the house drops to 60 degrees by morning.

Our neighbors do the same thing, and their house only drops to 65 by morning.

We do the same thing with our house up north, and on a 45 degree night the house is 65 or higher in the morning.

Do we have a problem with our house here in TV, or is this kind of temp drop normal? Are the houses not insulated like the ones up north? Are our neighbors just lucky?
Old 01-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patf View Post
We are new in TV and wondering if there is a problem with our house. The house was built in 2008. It seems to loose a lot of heat on cool nights. We set the thermostat at 68 during the day and turn it way down at night. On a typical night with a low of 45 degrees, the house drops to 60 degrees by morning.

Our neighbors do the same thing, and their house only drops to 65 by morning.

We do the same thing with our house up north, and on a 45 degree night the house is 65 or higher in the morning.

Do we have a problem with our house here in TV, or is this kind of temp drop normal? Are the houses not insulated like the ones up north? Are our neighbors just lucky?

Do you have a stick built home and they have a stucco?

We just turn the heat on when it get's cold. Never thought to worry about it.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Gold member
Default Insulation R Factor For Concrete Block Houses

I just read the other day that the R Factor for the wall of a concrete block house is 1 (one).
Old 01-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

some block homes have the option that filled the blocks
some have optional insulation in the ceilings
some have tinted glass
some have carpet and others all tile
high ceilings or low ceilings
use of ceiling fans or not

just to name a few variables that could be different in any house comparisons
Old 01-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
I just read the other day that the R Factor for the wall of a concrete block house is 1 (one).
I think it's around 20 when you add the insulating wrap, interior Sheetrock, etc
Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 PM

We have a block house, have lived here for 6.5 months, and have never had to turn the heat on. It is at 65 right now. Coming from Maine, that's a more than acceptable temperature for us!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:23 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

If insulated for the heat they are insulated for the cold. Just a view.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Florida homes have to be insulated in order to keep the cool (air conditioned) air in during the summer months. That same insulation should keep the cold out in the winter.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

The Villages homes are not very energy efficient by today's insulating technology
They are designed for optimum profit good looking low cost construction
The insulating R value is 11 at best for 2x4 construction for stick built. The stucco homes have blue board insulation of R9 and they figure another R2 for the block.Yes R23 in the attic what good does really do when 4 walls are exposed to the Florida sun
My home is block and at time of construction I asked to have my blocks filled with insulation would gladly pay the extra cost answer was No.
I said I'll even do it myself again No.
Given the fact the duct work is in the attic the home is greatly affected by the days heating and cooling at night you can notice an average of 6 degree temp variation from day to night .
I wonder if any Villagers have had their block home filled with insulation after the fact?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Sage

Let's face it, we live in central Florida not northern Wisconsin. Our homes are certainly comfortable on a year round basis with little energy expenditure. My heating and cooling costs here are significantly lower than NC (where I moved from), NV, MA, ME, TN, MS, GA and other places I have lived. Sure, they may not be the most efficient ever built but they are are more than adequate. I've built 6 homes - if this home were built for maximum profit they sure did a lousy job of that. There's lots of room for cost cutting that they ignored.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.