Do golf carts have DC power outlets?

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Veteran member
Default Do golf carts have DC power outlets?

The wife and I are in the process of buying a house and will be retiring into it in a couple of years (probably renting it out until then). We definitely plan on getting a golf cart when we move there. When we were just there, we tried using The Villages GPS on our phones and didn't care for it much (the phones themselves kept going into battery-saving modes). I think I'd rather stick with a regular GPS unit like I have in my car for at least however long it takes to get to know your way around. However, I realized I don't know if golf carts normally have DC power outlet (aka "cigarette lighter"). Is that a normal thing to have on carts?
Old 04-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

These can be easily added, if not equipped originally.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:14 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

If you are buying new, it's a cheap option. If you are buying reconditioned, it's a cheap option. If you are buying used "off the street", they are easy to add.

Good Luck.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
The wife and I are in the process of buying a house and will be retiring into it in a couple of years (probably renting it out until then). We definitely plan on getting a golf cart when we move there. When we were just there, we tried using The Villages GPS on our phones and didn't care for it much (the phones themselves kept going into battery-saving modes). I think I'd rather stick with a regular GPS unit like I have in my car for at least however long it takes to get to know your way around. However, I realized I don't know if golf carts normally have DC power outlet (aka "cigarette lighter"). Is that a normal thing to have on carts?
Check the thread for The Villages GPS. It will describe how to configure your phone to keep it from going into the battery saver mode when using the app.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 AM

We use an older GPS also for a speedometer and compass and mount it up high out of sight for someone walking buy. 12v outlet powers off when cart is turned off so GPS turns off to. Used Garmins are on ebay for $25 but you may want a newer one to cover the new villages areas. Also rigged cable ties as a safety strap in case the GPS suction cup looses grip. GPS works great for garage sales.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Maybe buy a $5.00 map, study it and really learn where you are going. It's a lot cheaper and usually doesn't get stolen if left in the cart unattended.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.