Old 04-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Veteran member
Default Golf cars damaging gate arms

So that's how it happens!

Village Community Development Districts
Old 04-02-2017, 10:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I watched it before. All at Delmar gate. I'd love to see the tapes of the cars or other vehicles taking out the gates into villages off Morse or Buena Vista. Better yet cars blowing the stop signs through the lanes with broken gates. Have popcorn handy!

Last edited by DonH57; 04-03-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:45 AM
Email Reported As Spam

They are obviously gate haters. I do hope they are required to pay for repairs.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
So that's how it happens!

Village Community Development Districts
ALL at just one gate?!

Since the gates are just for show anyway, it seems to me that if the powers-that-be are insistent on keeping them, then at least they could shorten them just enough for a cart to go around the end of them...but not let a standard automobile past.

Flame suit on!
Old 04-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
ALL at just one gate?!

Since the gates are just for show anyway, it seems to me that if the powers-that-be are insistent on keeping them, then at least they could shorten them just enough for a cart to go around the end of them...but not let a standard automobile past.

Flame suit on!
No flame. Fact is that gates used to be cut down so a golf cart could go right through. The State said we couldn't do that. Nope, no way. Not legal. A train might cream the golf cart (I kid you not!). So, full length arms required.

Now the flame -- the gates are there for more than just show. They are a traffic aid. Slows cars down, gives golf carts a chance to cross the street. I really, really hate when people can't see that they do serve a purpose besides just to inconvenience drivers.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
No flame. Fact is that gates used to be cut down so a golf cart could go right through. The State said we couldn't do that. Nope, no way. Not legal. A train might cream the golf cart (I kid you not!). So, full length arms required.
While I do appreciate the response on the history, I think I would have to see the official response to believe anything about a 'train.'

Not saying that isn't what you were told, I'm just having a hard time believing any traffic official would have said that...and would love to have someone provide a link showing that as a reason for the longer gate arms.

Quote:
Now the flame -- the gates are there for more than just show. They are a traffic aid. Slows cars down, gives golf carts a chance to cross the street. I really, really hate when people can't see that they do serve a purpose besides just to inconvenience drivers.
'Maybe' in some places they are a traffic aid...but in others they impede things IMHO.

A lot of locations where there are gates, there aren't any golf cart crossings...so those gates do nothing anyway and is a moot point.

In addition, the gates often create an automobile queue that carts have to wait for (unless someone misguidedly waves a cart across in front of them, but that's a different thread subject ) and without the gates...maybe auto traffic would clear quicker.

However, I do understand those who feel better thinking they live in a 'gated community.'
Old 04-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
While I do appreciate the response on the history, I think I would have to see the official response to believe anything about a 'train.'

Not saying that isn't what you were told, I'm just having a hard time believing any traffic official would have said that...and would love to have someone provide a link showing that as a reason for the longer gate arms.
The gates used to have shorter arms that would allow bicycles and carts to pass through without a card or button push. It is actually a regulation in the federal code for uniform traffic control signs/signals and markings. The train comment was used to explain that requiring the arm cover the entire lane stemmed from a concern that a short arm on a railroad crossing could encourage someone to drive around it and be hit by a train. (Lord knows they still do that with the longer arms.) Thus the arms were replaced with longer ones.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

People have been hitting the exit gate so frequently for Hillsborough to Buena Vista that the current stop sign is becoming a permanent fixture. Golf carts don’t get the blame here.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
The gates used to have shorter arms that would allow bicycles and carts to pass through without a card or button push. It is actually a regulation in the federal code for uniform traffic control signs/signals and markings. The train comment was used to explain that requiring the arm cover the entire lane stemmed from a concern that a short arm on a railroad crossing could encourage someone to drive around it and be hit by a train. (Lord knows they still do that with the longer arms.) Thus the arms were replaced with longer ones.
I'm actually pretty familiar with the The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and am pretty sure they don't apply to our unique situation (gates on public roads, with no at-grade RR X-ings)...but it's not worth arguing about because it's not going to be changed.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:17 PM

Whats is your hurry to save 2 to 3 sec. Relax or have respect for us that are not in a hurry to get the 2 for 1 or meet someone or make that so important meeting
I moved here to avoid all the people in a big hurry.. love the gates to help make life slower..
Old 04-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
I'm actually pretty familiar with the The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and am pretty sure they don't apply to our unique situation (gates on public roads, with no at-grade RR X-ings)...but it's not worth arguing about because it's not going to be changed.
Agreed, and that was the argument people brought forward, but TV decided to make the changes. I wonder if it was a liability concern. Think of the possibility of a bicyclist riding through an entry gate around the arm and colliding with a cart that was watching to make sure the arm was down before crossing. There are likely more possibilities.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tags
cars, damaging, gate, arms, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.