Golf cart kill switch

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Default Golf cart kill switch

Does anyone know someone that can install a Golf Cart kill switch. We use to have one on our old golf cart. Someone had installed a switch under the seat that you could switch off, so someone couldn't steal it...at least by using a key. If the switch was off, then the motor would not start. With a lot more golf carts being stolen I would like to have a switch installed or something that could prevent the golf cart from easily being stolen. Appreciate any advise. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Sage

The absolute best kill switch for a golf cart is a fuel valve to turn off the fuel--let the cart get start and run out of fuel in a short distance
Old 04-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I would think the best method would be an electrical switch of some kind that can be activated to keep your cart from starting. Has to be discreet otherwise the steeler will see you lift the seat to do something to the fuel system. The best way for this foolishness to stop is something I am not willing to put into writing. Street Justice!

I am going to pursue the kill switch again myself. I have before and was told that's what insurance is for. I don't ever want to make a claim. I love our cart it belongs to us.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:53 PM
Default Golf cart kill switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The absolute best kill switch for a golf cart is a fuel valve to turn off the fuel--let the cart get start and run out of fuel in a short distance
It is an electric golf cart
Old 04-01-2017, 08:02 PM

Call Todd's Golf Cart Service. He has a Facebook page as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Yes, common on/off switch, placing it were it can't be found is the problem. Some have link you can remove that breaks the connection take with you along with the key. IMO this best kind cause harder to hot wire around it and the key switch. But, that it can be jumped across with jumper wires. But, the time it takes figure it is the deterrence. Most golf carts have universal keys or few that's different patterns. Usually the golf cart pro thief was skilled mechanic and knows all the tricks or been taught them. You seen the movie gone is 60 seconds! Golf cart gone in 10 seconds.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Yes, common on/off switch, placing it were it can't be found is the problem. Some have link you can remove that breaks the connection take with you along with the key. IMO this best kind cause harder to hot wire around it and the key switch. But, that it can be jumped across with jumper wires. But, the time it takes figure it is the deterrence. Most golf carts have universal keys or few that's different patterns. Usually the golf cart pro thief was skilled mechanic and knows all the tricks or been taught them. You seen the movie gone is 60 seconds! Golf cart gone in 10 seconds.
Good point. They probably trailer the Cart away from the scene anyway.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

I put a GPS on my cart, that really isn't my point here, in installing it I realized hot wiring one of these is child's p!ay. Changing out the generic key for security key may give you an illusion of security but it is just not there. Most security measures are feel good efforts as is your kill switch, in my opinion. If your cart has a neutral it is pretty easy to push in it a trailer. A GPS (Not a 'tile') will help in the recovery. From what I saw I would get a club to immobilize the steering wheel. Your mileage may vary....

Last edited by Toymeister; 04-01-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:18 AM

I have a late model Yamaha gas and if you pull out the 25 amp inline fuse It will not start. Does not mean that nobody can push it but they are not carrying fuses with them. Cheaper and easier than a kill switch

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Look in your instructions and see if the cart has a tow switch. This will do what you want and could prevent someone from accidently taking your cart, but a theft would probably know about the switch.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Maybe a turned steering wheel and then a 'Club' connected to a foot pedal or the back of the seat. This could prevent loading on a trailer or using a key to drive.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 04-02-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Maybe a turned steering wheel and then a 'Club' connected to a foot pedal or the back of the seat. This could prevent loading on a trailer or using a key to drive.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
With a hacksaw,You could cut through the steering wheel in about a minute
Old 04-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
However, if the thief see's your cart with a deterrent, and the cart next to it with no deterrent, which do you think he will go after?
Old 04-02-2017, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Maybe you, yourself, could cut through a 'Club' or a steering wheel with a hacksaw in one minute, let's say two minutes, yet an equally looking golf cart without a club is sitting right next to this one. From most of the mugshots I see on the Villages News website, they couldn't cut through line, much less own a hacksaw. Let's say they did have a hacksaw, and had lifted weights back in their Army days before they were kicked out. They're going to take that cart without the club 99 out of 100 times. The one time they don't, they get caught.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Sage

Snagging out the fuse so it won't start sounds great but it would get old quick and someone I love dearly would involuntarily electrocute her bad self. I forgot about the club. The game with them wasn't a hacksaw it was spraying something that would freeze the lock and then whack it with a hammer and it would explode into pieces. The nice people stealing these carts should realize that Villagers are watching much more carefully nowadays and it would be a real shame to be caught stealing private property. Many of the men and especially the women from The Villages who we have met at the local several different gun ranges make us look like rookies. Hate to think about one of these people getting their Cart Clipped! Bad Guys Beware!
Closed Thread

Tags
switch, golf, cart, stolen, installed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.