8 volt battery charger recomendation

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2011, 04:54 AM
Default 8 volt battery charger recomendation

Does anyone know if someone sells an 8 volt battery charger? I returned to TV to find that all six of my Golf Cart batteries were dead and dry. I refilled them with distilled water and got advice to recharge them 1 at a time until I can get all of them above 36v and then my regular charger will take over. So I bought a 12v / 6 v charger at Walmart and set it for low current and tried to charge them 1 at a time. The problem is that the charger ( Schumacher XC6) automatically decides what type of battery it's charging and it thinks that these are 6v batteries and won't charge them above 5.5 volts.
I am returning it to Walmart and will buy a different one but does anybody sells an 8 volt charger that's made to work with these batteries or do I have to buy one that I can manually select 12v and carefully watch it?
Thanks, Bill
Old 07-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Sage

I have never looked for an 8v charger. I used an older model Diehard 6/12 volt 10/2/60 amp charger. I already returned it to the friend I borrowed it from and he is away for a bit or it would be readily available.

If you get stuck, PM me, I am pretty sure I can get my hands on it.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:51 AM

Thanks AJ, I'm going to return the one I bought at Walmart and will look for a manual model. I will also look at Advanced Autoparts for one. If you know of anywhere else that may have one, please let me know.
Bill
Old 07-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have a cart where batteries are severely discharged and the when you plug the cart into the charger it does not come on. Is it OK to charge an 8 volt battery with a 12 volt charger, what precautions do you need to take. Can you charge the individual betteries without removing the battery cables? How long should you charge each battery.....Thanks....GN
Old 07-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I have a cart where batteries are severely discharged and the when you plug the cart into the charger it does not come on. Is it OK to charge an 8 volt battery with a 12 volt charger, what precautions do you need to take. Can you charge the individual betteries without removing the battery cables? How long should you charge each battery.....Thanks....GN
Williep is doing this right now (charging 8 volt batteries with a 12 v charger). No real way to say how long to charge. You measure voltage of battery as it is being charged, while monitoring for any excessive heat. You do not need to remove battery from pack. There are varying opinions on AMPs to set charger to and here is another thread which may be useful.

Golf Cart Batteries won't charge
Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

thanks aj, really appreciate your input....gn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.