Golf Cart Side Doors-Curtis Cab Enclosures

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2011, 05:16 AM
Sage
Default Golf Cart Side Doors-Curtis Cab Enclosures

At LSL two nights ago I saw a couple of golf carts that had doors on the sides to keep out the rain instead of the sunbrella side covers that zip or snap. Not sure of the material or these doors -- plastic - fiberglass? The doors looked like they would slide back and forth, kind of like the doors on a minivan. Pooh called these doors Curtis Cab enclosures. What do these doors cost? Can they be installed on a preowned cart, or are they only available on new carts? What are the drawbacks to having these doors on a golf cart? If I ever do move down here I think these doors would be a lot easier for me to use to keep out the rain than the roll up side covers.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 07-09-2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-09-2011, 07:28 AM

We are in the process of buying a golf cart & were considering this enclosure. However, a couple salesmen said they are hot in the summer even w/the doors open because the airflow is restricted. We were told they cost about 2000.00
Old 07-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Sage

One thing to remember with a golf cart enclosure, they add weight to the cart and speed will be less than maximum for the particular cart it's on. They also aren't available for all carts so if you're thinking of getting one, ask if it can be fitted to the cart you're planning on getting.

In the summer, I do find them very warm, but everyone has different tolerances for temperatures. They are really great in the rain, but again, if it's warm outside and you've got your cart closed up, it's going to get warm, just as it does with roll down enclosures. As far as I'm concerned, they really are the best in the winter...when it's cold. Just shut the doors and the cold wind is shut out in a flash. Also, remember when you park your cart, leave enough room to be able to open the doors....they push out first, then slide back.

Guess you just have to figure out what's important to you, the ability to seal yourself from the elements or the breeze. Everything has its pluses and minuses.

Good luck....and enjoy the hunt.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:09 AM

We are also considering the Curtis Cab and have been told the same thing about the heat. However, if you have the doors open and the flap down in the back you have a lot of air flow. You can also open the front window and screens are available if you are not fond of picking bugs out from between your teeth...

There is also a bit of a "closed in" feel as opposed to the totally open feel without it. On the other hand, letting them dry and having to roll up those flaps is a bit of a pain in the ash, it seems to me... On the third hand, how often do you need the flaps down, or the doors closed? Not having owned one that's hard for me to say. Perhaps someone else can address that question.

The doors go on Yamaha, EZ Go, and Club car. Club car has the most colors available.

The weight may be a bit of a factor, but we have not noticed any difference on test drives. Perhaps an electric cart (one with poor range) would not be the best candidate for a Curtis Cab due to the added weight (I have been told up to 180 pounds).

There is also a bit of vision obstruction (some more than others depending on the model), but I think I could get used to that... some dealers will install the heater / fan that Curtis Cab makes. You can "google" Curtis Cab for thier webiste for more info.

The cost seems to vary from about $1,700 to $2,400. You can check them out with the local dealers.

One other consideration... it's easy enough to get to your golf clubs with the cab, but the sand bottle is a bit more difficult... though not impossible. Finally, the cooler will not fit on the Club Car with a Curtis Cab on it, but you can always put a cooler in the basket.

We continue to go back and forth with the idea... Decisions, decisions!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Gold member

I have had a Yamaha gas cart with the Curtis enclosure for about 18 months now and love it. Since I bought it new the cost was less than having the cab added after the fact, maybe $1,500. The Villages golf cars told me the extra weight was 100lbs and that they adjusted the cart speed to account for the extra weight. There is a slight temp difference in the summer but not anything that bothers me. There is some air flow restriction but as mentioned previously just put a screen on the front window and open the back curtain. A friend of mine rigged a mount for his sand bottle so that it sits on the rack between the golf bags and is easily accessible. The only small negative I would have is that there is a slight noise increase from the engine versus an open Yamaha cart.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
......The only small negative I would have is that there is a slight noise increase from the engine versus an open Yamaha cart.
You might want to talk to the folks at Carts and Clubs up in Ocala. They can install some soundproofing around the engine compartment and under your seat that will help with the noise level.

Bill
Old 07-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
You might want to talk to the folks at Carts and Clubs up in Ocala. They can install some soundproofing around the engine compartment and under your seat that will help with the noise level.

Bill
Thanks for the suggestion but like the heat neither are issues that bother me that much. For someone else they may be a bigger issue.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default Also, on another thread I mentioned

that if you are tall, with long legs, they are very difficult to get out without whacking your knees, and of course, I'm a slow learner.....If I MUST share a ride with a cart with these enclosures, I'll usually do a lot of walking, as the other option is a first aid kit!....Ugh!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Gold member

I have a Curtis Cab that I purchased with the Club Car. I also have a speedometer and can go my max of 19 MPH so I'm not slowed down. One comment I will make about the Curtis Cab is that it can be drafty with many small openings so that when it's very cold in the winter I would suggest a heater. However, when it rains their is no leakage inside the cart.

I would recommend the Curtis Cab and when it rains it sure beats dealing with the curtains. Also with the doors open, the front window down and the back curtain off there is no problem with being cool.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 07-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Default golf cart enclosures

An alternative to the Curtis is the Mee Cab. See thru on both sides, tinted and lighter weight than the Curtis Cab. Carts and Clubs is the dealer. We had it installed when we bought our cart and we are very pleased. The "doors" slide back and forth, not out and away from the cart. By the way, when we inquired about the Mee Cab at the dealer in Lake sumter Landing none of the sales people had even heard of it.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjay23 View Post
An alternative to the Curtis is the Mee Cab. See thru on both sides, tinted and lighter weight than the Curtis Cab. Carts and Clubs is the dealer. We had it installed when we bought our cart and we are very pleased. The "doors" slide back and forth, not out and away from the cart. By the way, when we inquired about the Mee Cab at the dealer in Lake sumter Landing none of the sales people had even heard of it.
They are interesting cabs, indeed and you have lots of visibility. Carts and Clubs is in Ocala, correct?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Default Curtis Cab or Mee Cab

Yes, Carts and Clubs this side of Ocala. Talk with Tom Denes, tell him that Bill Jadlos referred you.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Sage

Have seen a couple of people yesterday and today driving with the door on their Curtis Cab pushed back for air flow I'm sure (that's when it wasn't raining outside). I asked at the Village Golf Cart Store on 441/27 about the cost. I was told Curtis Cab enclosure itself is about $2,000 and labor to put it on an existing golf cart is about $1,000. The sales person told me that usually people buy the Curtis Cab enclosure on new carts because of the cost.

Haven't researched the Mee enclosures -- thank you for posting about those. Will have to look them up on the internet.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.