Drove golf cart for first time today

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Sage
Default Drove golf cart for first time today

This afternoon was my first time driving a golf cart. Fortunately a friend of my landlord took me out and had me drive it with her in the passenger seat. We went from the rental villa in Chatham to the Publix in Mulberry Plaza. She kept telling me to give the cart more gas. Had a few people pass me. I don't think I will have to worry about getting a speeding ticket while I'm here I guess driving a golf cart is like anything else, the more often you drive it, the more comfortable you become. Saw one man chatting away on his cell phone while driving a cart -- that won't be me. Unfortunately the rain storm hit around 3:30 p.m. while I was at an open house in Mira Mesa, so I didn't want to take the cart out in the rain being a cart newbie, especially since I'm not the golf cart owner. Went to LSL tonight, and saw a couple of golf carts with plastic type enclosure doors to keep the rain out. One man showed me how his cart doors worked. I kind of like those doors versus the snap on flaps on the sides of the cart. What do experienced cart drivers think about these doors on the sides of the carts?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
This afternoon was my first time driving a golf cart. Fortunately a friend of my landlord took me out and had me drive it with her in the passenger seat. We went from the rental villa in Chatham to the Publix in Mulberry Plaza. She kept telling me to give the cart more gas. Had a few people pass me. I don't think I will have to worry about getting a speeding ticket while I'm here I guess driving a golf cart is like anything else, the more often you drive it, the more comfortable you become. Saw one man chatting away on his cell phone while driving a cart -- that won't be me. Unfortunately the rain storm hit around 3:30 p.m. while I was at an open house in Mira Mesa, so I didn't want to take the cart out in the rain being a cart newbie, especially since I'm not the golf cart owner. Went to LSL tonight, and saw a couple of golf carts with plastic type enclosure doors to keep the rain out. One man showed me how his cart doors worked. I kind of like those doors versus the snap on flaps on the sides of the cart. What do experienced cart drivers think about these doors on the sides of the carts?

OK... If you and I go riding together... I drive!!!! zoom zoom zoom.....
Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
OK... If you and I go riding together... I drive!!!! zoom zoom zoom.....
The friend of my landlords must have thought I was the #1 Wussie golf cart driver of all time. Wish this golf cart would have a speedometer, so I would know if I was driving too slowly. I guess when 2 people pass you in the space of 1/2 hour, you are probably driving too slowly. . I was speeding up toward the end of my drive.

FYI: Didn't mind the noisier gas golf cart and I didn't really notice the fumes, but from what I understand, some people driving right behind a gas cart are bothered by the fumes.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Sage

When we were there... they gave us a cart that backfired every time we stopped... Well as you know coming from Chicago... I hit the ground the first few times!!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
When we were there... they gave us a cart that backfired every time we stopped... Well as you know coming from Chicago... I hit the ground the first few times!!!!
Oh for the peacefulness of Chicago on a hot summer night!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:03 AM
Platinum member

Hi Schaumburger!
I'm no expert, but as I am a native Chicagoan, you'll know where I'm coming from...... if you are traveling along on a golf car path straight away and realize that there's another golf car close behind, put the pedal to the metal.

It's considered common courtesy here...... and be assured that your golf car can only do 20 mph maximum with your foot all the way down.
No one will get pi**ed at you if they know you're going as fast as you can.(Many other golf cars have speedometers. They'll know!)

If you're in an area where they can pass you, they will if they desire, so if you feel more secure going slower in that situation, it's not a crime.

Of course, you have to slow down when you turn under a tunnel. Everyone expects you to do that, just regain your speed appropriately afterward.
Hope you love your visit!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Gold member
Default tunnel fumes the worst

you will definitely notice the fumes when you are behind a gas cart in the tunnel. I was just there for a week in June, and enjoyed the light traffic - normally we'll live there 8-9 mos per year (Sept. thru May) and you can definitely notice more traffic (and more fumes) Dec. thru April.

I do however, understand why those with only 1 cart, or those who live in the more outlying areas, like a gas cart for the range. Just wish they made them more environmentally friendly.

Also, very very good idea to go out with an experienced golf cart driver the first time (and maybe the 2nd and the 3rd). We have 2 carts but try not to let a guest go out alone the first time. Just not safe until they know the ins and outs of golf cart driving in TV.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Just be sure that your golf cart has insurance on it. If you have an accident without insurance, it could wipe out everything you have worked for so many years. Your car insurance or homeowners insurance does not take care of golf cart accidents.

I understand that if the golf cart has been modified for speed above 20 mph, the insurance company will not pay for claims - and once again, you could be wiped out of everything.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Sage

Congratulations on your first drive. It's fun! If you find you're going slowly and want to continue on at a slower speed, just pull over and let the other carts pass you.

About those cart doors, Curtis Cab enclosures I do believe they're called....they are wonderful when it's raining, great in the winter, but personally, I don't care for them in the summer. I much prefer the breeze you experience when driving in a cart with fabric sides rolled up. Hubby also made a screen for the front window. Keeps some of the little buggies out of your face when you're driving around with the front window down.

Many people do have gas carts because of their range...it's not a big problem for us, we live nearer the "center" of the community at presemt, though as expansion continues, a cart with more travel time might be something to consider.

ENJOY yourself!

Last edited by pooh; 07-08-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Congratulations on your first drive. It's fun! If you find you're going slowly and want to continue on at a slower speed, just pull over and let the other carts pass you.
Great advice Pooh. When we were down for our two LSVs the carts they gave us wouldn't get out of their own ways. I frequently pulled over to let other carts pass. That doesn't seem to be a common courtesy, judging by the long line of carts behind an obvious rental cart.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default congrats on your first cart ride

regarding the doors, if you have long legs, forget it.....I've rammed my knees enough times to remember to plan on walking if that is the only choice!....They are terrific for little people or someone who is aware of the casualties of doors...I'm a slow learner...

I always wondered why the door enclosures in homes that roll open and close, are not also available for carts....That might be a good "shark tank" invention!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post

I always wondered why the door enclosures in homes that roll open and close, are not also available for carts....That might be a good "shark tank" invention!
We saw a golf car that had exactly that! Don't remember the name of the company, but his golf car has signs on it and he was parked near the market night vendors at Lake Sumter Landing. We've seen him the last two weeks.
Don't know any other details, however.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
Great advice Pooh. When we were down for our two LSVs the carts they gave us wouldn't get out of their own ways. I frequently pulled over to let other carts pass. That doesn't seem to be a common courtesy, judging by the long line of carts behind an obvious rental cart.
bluedog103, Really dumb question -- when you say "pulled over" I'm assuming you mean you pulled overed onto the grass next to the golf cart trail to let the other carts pass?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Just be sure that your golf cart has insurance on it. If you have an accident without insurance, it could wipe out everything you have worked for so many years. Your car insurance or homeowners insurance does not take care of golf cart accidents.

I understand that if the golf cart has been modified for speed above 20 mph, the insurance company will not pay for claims - and once again, you could be wiped out of everything.
The landlord I'm renting from has insurance on the golf cart.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post

About those cart doors, Curtis Cab enclosures I do believe they're called....they are wonderful when it's raining, great in the winter, but personally, I don't care for them in the summer. I much prefer the breeze you experience when driving in a cart with fabric sides rolled up. Hubby also made a screen for the front window. Keeps some of the little buggies out of your face when you're driving around with the front window down.

Many people do have gas carts because of their range...it's not a big problem for us, we live nearer the "center" of the community at presemt, though as expansion continues, a cart with more travel time might be something to consider.

ENJOY yourself!
Pooh, Thanks for the info. about the Curtis Cab enclosures. I will have to post separately as I have some questions about them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.