Cart stopped running, help

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Default Cart stopped running, help

2004 Yamaha 48 volt. While driving today the cart just shut down. When pressing the accelerator pedal the cart makes a very short bump and the battery gauge (analog) goes to zero for a brief time and it feels like a torque switch takes over then the gauge comes back (does not stay at bottom), the cart does not move. Same in forward or reverse. Where do you suggest I start, the controller or the motor? The wheels turn, had it towed home by **** Aid, so the problem appears to be in the drive circuit. Thanks for your help. Anyone who has an idea please let me know.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Sage
Default I would start with....

I would start by measuring the voltage of the battery pack if you have not done that. What is the voltage of the pack at rest before you hit the Go pedal?

Disclaimer: Alan is a Club car electric DIY guy.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Default Checked voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I would start by measuring the voltage of the battery pack if you have not done that. What is the voltage of the pack at rest before you hit the Go pedal?

Disclaimer: Alan is a Club car electric DIY guy.
Checked voltage, 48.5 volts. When I plugged in the charger, it went thru the start up then shut down and the "abnormal cycle" light came on. Unplugged the charger, put in "tow" mode and plugged back in, same result.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrod View Post
Checked voltage, 48.5 volts. When I plugged in the charger, it went thru the start up then shut down and the "abnormal cycle" light came on. Unplugged the charger, put in "tow" mode and plugged back in, same result.
Sounds like it is time to call in a pro. You might start with a local authorized dealer. There are other good techs and maybe someone here can steer you to one.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Sage
Default 48.5 > 50%

Well that is enough voltage to move for sure.

Did I say I have never owned a Yamaha ? but....

I would still try to rule out something simple.....

Anything new done to cart? Check every connection. Possibly a loose connection or possibly something creating a dead short. I once had a Par Car that had these symptoms. My issue (unrelated to yours and pretty boring) was tracked in the thread below:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/colum...w-reverse.html

In my case I had an issue in the power circuit that was allowing 48 volts to flow in BOTH directions which is not optimal

If you have some alligator clips. I would begin to get some voltages at various places UNDER LOAD, i.e., pack, controller, motor

I would also expand your horizons by posting in:
  1. https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...play.php?f=230
  2. http://server1.buggiesunlimited.com/phpBB2/
  3. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/

Good luck! I wish I could help more.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Default Cart problem

If you have 48.5 volts from the neg terminal of battery 1 to the pos terminal of your last battery, it's not a battery problem. If your charger gives you a fault indication then the circuit may be open or shorted, look for a loose or corroded connection. I made a good living fixing corrosion on electronic connections!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Default Problem solved

Thanks for the information, and especially to AJBrown for his connection to the person who was the biggest help. My batteries were going on 4 years. One of them was the major problem. 6 new 8 volt batteries and the cart is good as new. Usually bad batteries just don't give the same run time (distance) but this one was causing the controller to do it's job and shut down.
Thanks again for all your help. I. B. Happy!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.