Charger Repair

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.
Angry Charger Repair

The battery charger for our club cart has stopped working. Does anyone know of a company or person that repairs them? If not where can I get a working used charger?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Sage
Default Any trustworthy mechanic should do....

I would think any cart mechanic could diagnose this issue pretty easily. Search the site for recommendations. Further isolating the issue requires a bit more detail about what happens when you plug in it.

First we assume you have tested the AC outlet with some other device. I am not teasing. I had a buddy that was plugging in his cart every night for a week until his cart finally ran out of juice. The AC outlet was not functioning

Describing to a mechanic what exactly happens when you plug it in could help them isolate, i.e., does the needle move at all? do you hear a click?

I would not buy a new charger until you had someone look at it. The issue is likely a fuse or relay which should be a pretty inexpensive fix.

The worst case scenario for cost is that the issue is in the computer of the cart. This is unlikely.

If you are lucky you have a buddy with a CC and can try their charger on your cart for easy isolation.

good luck!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I would think any cart mechanic could diagnose this issue pretty easily. Search the site for recommendations. Further isolating the issue requires a bit more detail about what happens when you plug in it.

First we assume you have tested the AC outlet with some other device. I am not teasing. I had a buddy that was plugging in his cart every night for a week until his cart finally ran out of juice. The AC outlet was not functioning

Describing to a mechanic what exactly happens when you plug it in could help them isolate, i.e., does the needle move at all? do you hear a click?

I would not buy a new charger until you had someone look at it. The issue is likely a fuse or relay which should be a pretty inexpensive fix.

The worst case scenario for cost is that the issue is in the computer of the cart. This is unlikely.

If you are lucky you have a buddy with a CC and can try their charger on your cart for easy isolation.

good luck!
Thanks. I do have 2 club carts and the other charger work fine on both carts.

I checked the fuse and it is good. Nothing happens when I plug it into the cart.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:53 AM

May be the diode...its easy to troubleshoot with an ohm meter and club car sells replacements (less than $20 if I recall). Youll need a soldering gun/iron too. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Sage

The fact that the other charger works on both carts is good news.

I am not near my chargers or my manuals and I am no expert who remembers stuff off the top of my head, but I think there is a fuse on the front of the charger. I would check that, but I suspect it is the relay in the charger.

If you up for it is to take the relay out of the good charger and put it in bad charger. If charger comes on you just need a relay which can be picked up for $15 - $25 depending on where you get it.

Man I miss driving my carts
Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

I called battery boys but they are closed on Sat & Sun. So I will have to call them monday morning.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:11 PM

You may want to check eBay.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 09-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Eternal Member

Free loaner to TOTV members and repairs are $29.95 plus parts.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.