LSV/NEV insurance nearly doubles

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Default LSV/NEV insurance nearly doubles

Our GEM insurance just doubled

Anyone have a clue to any better values?
We use the thing about 50 miles a year, and renters about 500

Help!

L and L

Still overworked in Rural Md......
......visiting our TV homes when possible
Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Gold member

It's hard to determine if there are better values out there if we don't know what you are now paying. If it doubled from $100 to $200 than I don't know of a better rate. If it doubled from $400 to $800 then you may want to shop around (I believe we pay approx $400-450 at Allstate.)

That being said, I think the insurance rates for LSVs are much too high given the potential liabilities that they entail. Since the largest component of insurance cost is to pay for the damage caused to other people and their property, it is hard to reconcile that a vehicle that goes a max speed of 25 MPH, weighs a fraction of the weight of a car or truck and is driven at most 2,000 miles per year, should pay comparable insurance to what a car or truck (which can do far more damage) does.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Gold member

i also have allstate...they told me lsv insurance is the same as a second car. an lsv over a golf cart is well worth the expense. they have far more safety features. plus more that is covered in many threads.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:20 PM

May I ask a silly question? What is an LSV?
Old 10-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanormalgirl View Post
May I ask a silly question? What is an LSV?
Nothing's silly!

Stands for Low Speed Vehicle.

Bill
Old 10-31-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Nothing's silly!

Stands for Low Speed Vehicle.

Bill
O.k. thank you!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Sage

normal -

No problem-o.

If it's of any additional help to you, here's a recent post that explains what constitutes an LSV versus a standard golf cart:

Golf Cart differences

Bill
Old 10-31-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
It's hard to determine if there are better values out there if we don't know what you are now paying. If it doubled from $100 to $200 than I don't know of a better rate. If it doubled from $400 to $800 then you may want to shop around (I believe we pay approx $400-450 at Allstate.)

That being said, I think the insurance rates for LSVs are much too high given the potential liabilities that they entail. Since the largest component of insurance cost is to pay for the damage caused to other people and their property, it is hard to reconcile that a vehicle that goes a max speed of 25 MPH, weighs a fraction of the weight of a car or truck and is driven at most 2,000 miles per year, should pay comparable insurance to what a car or truck (which can do far more damage) does.
Thanks
Great info yes, $400 to $800 was the number,
We like the construction of the GEM.
Real steel, real glass, real wipers...
After seeing these in use all over DC by the feds, police, etc we figured they were a good machine, though twice the investment of a standard cart.
We are not golfers but had the golf compatible wheels installed for renters
In addition to the psychic club, are you by chance in or familiar with a GEM or LSV club in TV?
Not that we are 'enthusiasts' that want to go to GEM rallies, but just for info

L and L

Old 10-31-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
normal -

No problem-o.

If it's of any additional help to you, here's a recent post that explains what constitutes an LSV versus a standard golf cart:

Golf Cart differences

Bill
Thank you again, the explanation of the difference was helpful. Question again though, do you have to register and have a lisence plate for a street legal cart in Florida?

Teri
Old 10-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you again, the explanation of the difference was helpful. Question again though, do you have to register and have a lisence plate for a street legal cart in Florida?

Teri
Yep! And it will need to be insured like an automobile as well.

Bill
Old 10-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Default same as a car, yup

Quote:

Bill
that's what got us
"you will pay the same as a car'

too bad, in addition to all the reasons previously outlined as to the 'lower probability of liabilities' these things are seldom far from home, and the limit of their domain is a fraction of a percentage point as to where they can travel

Maybe the LSV lobby is just so small

L and L

Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:

Bill
Hmmm, we may have to rethink the 'bring the fancy golf cart to Florida' idea. Our insurance here is already about $400.00 a year and we've only put about 10 miles on our cart this year but we don't have to have plates on them.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Default High LSV insurance

This issue hit home to me, I have be trying for the past month to find someone in Tampa or Tallahassee to explain to me why the insurance rate when up drastically this year. I had State Farm and my insurance went up 300.00, so I started to check around and I found All State in Leesburg would insure my cart and cars for about the same price I was playing for my cars and my LSV golf cart from State Farm before the increase in price. My suggestion is check every agency and get the best price. As far as the increase in price on the golf carts I think its about time for everyone to start sending letters to our Representatives ( if we can fine out who they are) in Tampa and Tallahassee on the high price of insurance. I think we should start a Tea Party movement. The other issue I have is on the LSV golf cart, you need PIP coverage just like a car but motorcycles are exempted to this issue and you don't have to carry insurance or wear a helmet go figure. Something wrong here!!!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdills View Post
This issue hit home to me, I have be trying for the past month to find someone in Tampa or Tallahassee to explain to me why the insurance rate when up drastically this year. I had State Farm and my insurance went up 300.00, so I started to check around and I found All State in Leesburg would insure my cart and cars for about the same price I was playing for my cars and my LSV golf cart from State Farm before the increase in price. My suggestion is check every agency and get the best price. As far as the increase in price on the golf carts I think its about time for everyone to start sending letters to our Representatives ( if we can fine out who they are) in Tampa and Tallahassee on the high price of insurance. I think we should start a Tea Party movement. The other issue I have is on the LSV golf cart, you need PIP coverage just like a car but motorcycles are exempted to this issue and you don't have to carry insurance or wear a helmet go figure. Something wrong here!!!!!
i wish someone would start a lsv/nev club! id vote for mr dills to be president.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Hmmm, we may have to rethink the 'bring the fancy golf cart to Florida' idea. Our insurance here is already about $400.00 a year and we've only put about 10 miles on our cart this year but we don't have to have plates on them.

Insurance for a 25 MPH street legal LSV (Low Speed Vehicle) is pricey - $400 plus or minus.

Insurance for a 20 MPH golf cart is around $75/yr

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.