Talk of The Villages



» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Tower Sponsors


















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
LSV/NEV insurance nearly doubles
  #1  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maryland and TV
Posts: 472
Default LSV/NEV insurance nearly doubles

Our GEM insurance just doubled

Anyone have a clue to any better values?
We use the thing about 50 miles a year, and renters about 500

Help!

L and L
__________________
Larry and Linda

Still overworked in Rural Md......
......visiting our TV homes when possible

  #2  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Gold member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,209
Default

It's hard to determine if there are better values out there if we don't know what you are now paying. If it doubled from $100 to $200 than I don't know of a better rate. If it doubled from $400 to $800 then you may want to shop around (I believe we pay approx $400-450 at Allstate.)

That being said, I think the insurance rates for LSVs are much too high given the potential liabilities that they entail. Since the largest component of insurance cost is to pay for the damage caused to other people and their property, it is hard to reconcile that a vehicle that goes a max speed of 25 MPH, weighs a fraction of the weight of a car or truck and is driven at most 2,000 miles per year, should pay comparable insurance to what a car or truck (which can do far more damage) does.
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: rio grande villas of de laguna
Posts: 836
Default

i also have allstate...they told me lsv insurance is the same as a second car. an lsv over a golf cart is well worth the expense. they have far more safety features. plus more that is covered in many threads.
  #4  
Old 10-31-2010, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 139
Default

May I ask a silly question? What is an LSV?
Sponsored Links
  #5  
Old 10-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanormalgirl View Post
May I ask a silly question? What is an LSV?
Nothing's silly!

Stands for Low Speed Vehicle.

Bill
  #6  
Old 10-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Nothing's silly!

Stands for Low Speed Vehicle.

Bill
O.k. thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #7  
Old 10-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,919
Default

normal -

No problem-o.

If it's of any additional help to you, here's a recent post that explains what constitutes an LSV versus a standard golf cart:

Golf Cart differences

Bill
  #8  
Old 10-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maryland and TV
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
It's hard to determine if there are better values out there if we don't know what you are now paying. If it doubled from $100 to $200 than I don't know of a better rate. If it doubled from $400 to $800 then you may want to shop around (I believe we pay approx $400-450 at Allstate.)

That being said, I think the insurance rates for LSVs are much too high given the potential liabilities that they entail. Since the largest component of insurance cost is to pay for the damage caused to other people and their property, it is hard to reconcile that a vehicle that goes a max speed of 25 MPH, weighs a fraction of the weight of a car or truck and is driven at most 2,000 miles per year, should pay comparable insurance to what a car or truck (which can do far more damage) does.
Thanks
Great info yes, $400 to $800 was the number,
We like the construction of the GEM.
Real steel, real glass, real wipers...
After seeing these in use all over DC by the feds, police, etc we figured they were a good machine, though twice the investment of a standard cart.
We are not golfers but had the golf compatible wheels installed for renters
In addition to the psychic club, are you by chance in or familiar with a GEM or LSV club in TV?
Not that we are 'enthusiasts' that want to go to GEM rallies, but just for info

L and L
__________________
Larry and Linda

Still overworked in Rural Md......
......visiting our TV homes when possible
  #9  
Old 10-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
normal -

No problem-o.

If it's of any additional help to you, here's a recent post that explains what constitutes an LSV versus a standard golf cart:

Golf Cart differences

Bill
Thank you again, the explanation of the difference was helpful. Question again though, do you have to register and have a lisence plate for a street legal cart in Florida?

Teri
  #10  
Old 10-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanormalgirl View Post
Thank you again, the explanation of the difference was helpful. Question again though, do you have to register and have a lisence plate for a street legal cart in Florida?

Teri
Yep! And it will need to be insured like an automobile as well.

Bill
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.