LSV/NEV insurance nearly doubles

Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanormalgirl View Post
Thank you again, the explanation of the difference was helpful. Question again though, do you have to register and have a lisence plate for a street legal cart in Florida?

Teri
yep, kind of questionable as far as worth and when you take them on the road (roads with speeds posted up to 35mph) the people in cars can't stand you because you hold up traffic....much ado about nothing
Old 11-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Veteran member

When the great tax break was being offered for lsv's, I went to Par Car to look at one. I specifically asked about the insurance and was told that they "had an agent" who could insure it for $200 which was far less than I had been quoted by my agent. When I called ParCar's agent, he told me that he could cover the lsv with a motorcycle policy and that it was legal! After that, I didn't trust him( o rthem) and bought an EGzO instead. I wonder how many people actually believed that and bought the lsv and now are paying the price.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryandlinda View Post
that's what got us
"you will pay the same as a car'

too bad, in addition to all the reasons previously outlined as to the 'lower probability of liabilities' these things are seldom far from home, and the limit of their domain is a fraction of a percentage point as to where they can travel

Maybe the LSV lobby is just so small

L and L
Ah, but in a LSV you can travel with auto traffic and, despite a few safety frills, you just don't stand a chance in even a low speed accident. Most accidents happen close to home so proximity of use doesn't fit into the actuarial scenario. If you like the added safety features just have the controller adjusted to limit your speed to 19.8mph don't register it, get the cheap insurance rates and use the cart paths.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
Ah, but in a LSV you can travel with auto traffic and, despite a few safety frills, you just don't stand a chance in even a low speed accident. Most accidents happen close to home so proximity of use doesn't fit into the actuarial scenario. If you like the added safety features just have the controller adjusted to limit your speed to 19.8mph don't register it, get the cheap insurance rates and use the cart paths.
it doesnt work that way. a lsv has a VIN and is registered. tomberlin already has a golf cart mode built in. if you turn the key all the way it will only go 19mph. but no matter how fast you go you must have the same coverage as an automobile. the good news is you can use cart paths and/or the road. whatever turns you on! i use the road untill the speed demons run me off then i go cart path. and the speed demons are old/young/male/female.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Default We'll take it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Insurance for a 25 MPH street legal LSV (Low Speed Vehicle) is pricey - $400 plus or minus.

Insurance for a 20 MPH golf cart is around $75/yr

We'll take a years' worth of that drink!

We'd also be willing to cover the administrative costs with others for anyone willing to play 'agent' on getting us favorable rates

L and L

Still overworked in Rural Md......
......visiting our TV homes when possible
Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Sage

Are you saying that the $400 is way low??? Someone else mentioned that was what they were paying for the LSV insurance; I have also seen it mentioned that it is $600. I don't know for a fact what is correct.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 11-01-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdills View Post
The other issue I have is on the LSV golf cart, you need PIP coverage just like a car but motorcycles are exempted to this issue and you don't have to carry insurance or wear a helmet go figure. Something wrong here!!!!!
I have never looked into any of this, but I agree with you, that is a head scratcher to me....
Old 11-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Glad I'm not in a hurry, LSV and NEV are not relevant.....gn
Old 11-01-2010, 05:23 PM

I just had a talk with our agent. We have coverage and replacement value like a car along with the multi car discount, accident free discount etc. She said this is all new to them but they are rating them like a car when they are street legal and we don't have a choice here, can't drive on the sidewalks and we don't have golf cart lanes so we have to drive in the street. The good thing is, we're big enough that we can be seen, ours is a 4 seater Cadillac Sedan Deville, 2010 Cadillac Red with white interior, matching white vinyl top and it's 13 feet long, it's pretty cool!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Glad I'm not in a hurry, LSV and NEV are not relevant.....gn
Who's in a hurry?
If we were we would certainly not ride our bicycles for 98% of our travel in and around TV
But as with our bikes, when it comes to things that are one time,long time investments, we like to do it once and get solid quality .
It's the pesky ongoing costs that we don't like .
Sign up incentives for self storage, cable,(first month Freeeee!) or FREEEE inspections, chiropractic analysis, alarm imstallation, etc- that's what we don't like when it involves ongoing costs.
Bicycles are a true one timer-'compared to skis or a bowling ball-
Yes,$400 a year would be reasonable for our little GEM
L and L

Still overworked in Rural Md......
......visiting our TV homes when possible
Old 11-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If you are not in a hurry why do you want to buy an LSV and go out on the street with vehicles that have a 2,000lb advantage over your vehicle...gn
Old 11-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

L&L you must be in a hurry or you wouldn't be looking for an LSV. If you only use your cart for less than 1% of your travel in TV (I am assuming you have a car too) why are you concerned about getting from point A to point B via LSV and saving on average of I would estimate 5-10 minutes, while spending an extra $3,000 for the initial purchase and $400 annual additional insurance.....gn

Last edited by golfnut; 11-01-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:17 PM

please disregard

Last edited by iandwk; 11-01-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

please disregard what....gn
Old 11-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Default Insurance coverage

1st of all I didn't pay 3000.00 more for my LSV cart and I probably payed alot less that most people buying new golf carts. My golf cart insurance is 280 per year. If you are paying less that 125 a year for a regular golf cart and driving over 19.9 MPH you are only kidding yourself. I am tired of people that are trying to tell me what they think they know.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.