summer my cart

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Default summer my cart

I'm leaving my 2013 yamaha gas cart from May till Nov. What do I do to treat the gas? I use high test gas. Any other advice?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:38 PM

I would use a gas additive in the tank if it were me. These can be purchased at auto/cart stores.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlander View Post
I would use a gas additive in the tank if it were me. These can be purchased at auto/cart stores.
Only have 1/2 tank of gas & give a DOUBLE DOSE of Marine Stabil. Run cart for 4-5 mi. Turn off gas line, red knob above gas line, put cart in neutral to run all gas out of the carb. Park cart & DISCONNECT the NEG. battery cable. This is per Village Carts.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Sage

When we got back here last Oct our Yamaha Gas Cart would not start because the fuel line had lost its prime. We pulled the line from the gas tank and filled it with gas and it started up right away.

Running the motor until the gas is gone would probably create the same issue.

If you disconnect the battery and reconnect it when you get back there is a chance it will start. If not, either jump it from your car or put it on a charger overnight and it will start. (Unless the fuel line has to be primed)

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Sage

We get down to TV about 4 times a year - couple of weeks each time. Thus our gas golf cart sits.....a LOT. Here's what I do when we're away:

- Jack it up to get the tires off the floor - put the frame on 4 jack stands........so the tires won't flat spot.

- As others have suggested, add fuel stabilizer and fill the tank up.

- (ours has a carburetor) Either run the carb dry or drain the fuel bowl.

- Hook up a Battery Tender to the battery. It stays plugged in 24/7/365. Click this link ---> Battery Tender .

- Leave the brake off.

The above might sound a like a lot of tedium and/or a bit anal. But I have yet to have any starting/running issues with the cart after two+ years of using this process.

Everyone's got a different mindset about what they're comfortable with doing. This has worked for us!

Bill
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Eternal Member

At a boy Bill you did it correct. You get five stars. *****
Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
We get down to TV about 4 times a year - couple of weeks each time. Thus our gas golf cart sits.....a LOT. Here's what I do when we're away:

- Jack it up to get the tires off the floor - put the frame on 4 jack stands........so the tires won't flat spot.

- Hook up a Battery Tender to the battery. It stays plugged in 24/7/365. Click this link ---> Battery Tender .

- Leave the brake off.

The above might sound a like a lot of tedium and/or a bit anal. But I have yet to have any starting/running issues with the cart after two+ years of using this process.

Everyone's got a different mindset about what they're comfortable with doing. This has worked for us!

Bill
Bill, which model of Battery Tender do you use for your golf cart - sounds as if I need to get one. Thanks! Lark
Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark7 View Post
Bill, which model of Battery Tender do you use for your golf cart - sounds as if I need to get one. Thanks! Lark
Lark, here's the one I use - Battery Tender Plus:
Battery Tender Plus - Batterytender.com

Here are the specs and product info. Part no. 021-0128 for a lead acid battery (the most common type of battery):
http://batterytender.com/includes/la...fo_BT_Plus.pdf

You could also go with a Battery Tender Junior: Battery Tender® Junior 12V @ 0.75A - Motorcycle - Products - Batterytender.com

Essentially the same product - just a lower amperage output. The Junior is generally going to be for smaller batteries that don't need the 1.25A output of the Plus model.

I've always used the Plus model for years. I have a bunch of them as we have a number of things that sit in storage for extended periods of time. None of them have real small batteries so there's never been a problem. I even used the Plus models on several sets of Yamaha WaveRunners we had over the years. The batteries in those are somewhat on the smallish side - never had an issue.

Hope that helps!

Bill
Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 PM

Bill,

Thanks for your assistance and information - off to Pep Boys.

Lark
Old 04-30-2013, 04:57 PM

I agree with using the Battery Tender, verse some of the other high dollar units [Battery Minder]. Battery Tender has been around for a long time and does a great job with anything with a battery that needs to sit but stay charged.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Default storage of cart

the above is perfect mechanic for 37 years and that is what i do to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post

- Leave the brake off.

Bill
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Default cart storage

Perfect bill right to the tee. mechanic 50 years and you are right.i go one step further and remove gas from tank and put in car and start fresh when i get back.golf cart, lawnmowers,,weed wackers and no trouble.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Veteran member

Most of what Bill stated will also work for an electric cart that is going to be out of service for a couple of months. Obviously there are no gasoline additives or other fuel issues but we top off the batteries, charge them completely the night before we leave and also put the Battery Minder to work. You have to get the correct Battery Minder to the volts that your cart has.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark7 View Post
Bill,

Thanks for your assistance and information - off to Pep Boys.

Lark
No problem, Lark! Hope you found one at Pep Boys.

Bill
Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

Great info! I can add one more item. Since our cart will be stored for the summer, I unroll all our vinyl enclosures and let them hang loose. Thought it would be best if they are not kept rolled up for a long period.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.