Star Car charging problems

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Default Star Car charging problems

I recently purchased a home and it came with a 2007 Star Car. It seems to be a nice cart but when I plug it in at night the charger boils the batteries and it has an awful sulfer smell in the garage in the morning. It also is taking a lot of water every 2 days or so. Anyone else experiencing problems like this? Thought of trading it in for a gas cart but seems like my Star Car may be hard to sell for a decent price.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:51 AM

Sounds like your battery charger is charging at full amps all night.get it checked out you don't want to ruin your battery's or worst yet start a fire. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:43 AM

You need to take a look at the batteries first, as you may have a battery that is not coming up equal with the rest of the pack. However, the early star cars came with a charger, that lets say, is not the greatest. The most common issue though, is a battery not charging equal with the rest of the pack.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikiem View Post
I recently purchased a home and it came with a 2007 Star Car. It seems to be a nice cart but when I plug it in at night the charger boils the batteries and it has an awful sulfer smell in the garage in the morning. It also is taking a lot of water every 2 days or so. Anyone else experiencing problems like this? Thought of trading it in for a gas cart but seems like my Star Car may be hard to sell for a decent price.
We had a star cart with similar problems. The charger used to smell and make noise also. When the repairman came out he accused us of not keeping enough water in the batteries. Which was false because the charger had gotten the batteries hot and the water had evaporated. We went through 3 brand new battery chargers before they put an original (older) charger on our cart and after that things were fine. Ours was a 2008.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
We had a star cart with similar problems. The charger used to smell and make noise also. When the repairman came out he accused us of not keeping enough water in the batteries. Which was false because the charger had gotten the batteries hot and the water had evaporated. We went through 3 brand new battery chargers before they put an original (older) charger on our cart and after that things were fine. Ours was a 2008.
Thanks, Your problem sounds very similar to mine. I will have the charger checked first. Thanks again, Mike.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

My non-expert advice would be to sell the Star Car for whatever you can get for it and buy a Club Car, Yamaha or EZ-Go. It will be worth it in the long run.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
My non-expert advice would be to sell the Star Car for whatever you can get for it and buy a Club Car, Yamaha or EZ-Go. It will be worth it in the long run.
I agree. Our repair guy will work on all cart except Star Cars.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I have considered that, however I do not want to stick anyone else with my problems. probably will sell or trade after the problem is resolved.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Hate to say it, but it sounds as though, the proper testing was not done for you to have to go through 3 chargers. Its not rocket science to figure out if the problem is in the charger or the batteries.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 PM

Star Cars are no different than another other golf car- they are all powered the same. The problem comes from repair shops who dont like working on unfamiliar carts to them, the reality is, they are as simple to work on as any other cart.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBusch View Post
Star Cars are no different than another other golf car- they are all powered the same. The problem comes from repair shops who dont like working on unfamiliar carts to them, the reality is, they are as simple to work on as any other cart.
I agree. Star carts use the ame parts as the other carts as far as the major coomponents. There will always be a smell when it charges over night. That is normal. I can go weeks without it neededing water.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:11 PM

Not only are Star Carts the same in most ways, but the controller is a stock Curtis I think 1266 with all parameters open and set-able, they come with 400 to 500 amp controllers stock club car controllers are 250 amp and newer ones are 300 so they have more power to climb hills or hall heaver loads.

fix it, keep it and drive it.

if you look on this site you see nothing but complaints on service companies if someone will not work on it then you better off to start with, you are weeding out incompetence.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 AM

some star cart chargers have a switch for flooded or gel batteries. flooded is actually for a lead acid type. if it`s set on gel, this is a possible result.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Sorry to disagree, but I have had my Star cart for 2 years now and love it. Not one bit of trouble and I estimate close to 50 miles a charge.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.