Star Golf Carts?

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Default Star Golf Carts?

Hi all and I'd like your help!

We are new to TV and contemplating the street legal Star Cart as the tax credit that they offer is $5335. Our tax person said we'd qualify for the tax credit and Star has a letter from the Treasury Dept stating that they qualify for this credit in that amount. Is anyone familiar with Star? I don't see too many models in TV and I would appreciate an update on customer satisfaction. Thanks very much for your help.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Veteran member

Just a suggestion-call you auto insurance company and get a tentative quote. Premium much different than a golf cart premium.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 PM

Golf Cart Connection just recently seperated their business relationship with the Star Company. Star Car has way too many problems to go into here, but just a word of caution is about all I can say.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamike View Post
Golf Cart Connection just recently seperated their business relationship with the Star Company. Star Car has way too many problems to go into here, but just a word of caution is about all I can say.
Don't you think if you are going to slam someone's business that it would be appropriate to provide corroborating details?

BTW, when we went into Golf Cart Connection they didn't say that the "separated their business relationship" with Star. They said that they lost their franchise. Two different things.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 AM

You should be careful about getting an LSV just for the tax credit. If you want an LSV, it is a great deal. But if you don't, take a look a the extra cost over 5-10 years. I got a quote from Allstate for an LSV and it was around $65 per month. Plus add in the fees for License Plates and annual registration, and that tax credit is long gone after about 5 years.

I imagine you can just register it as an LSV for the first year, then drop back to golf cart status. Might violate some IRS rule, but can't imagine you would get caught.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

I went back to a regular golf cart after having a low speed electric vehicle. The insurance cost as much as a car plus you have to have plates, wear seatbelts, etc. (I had an LC3, 4 passenger)
I can get to most places almost as quick as I did before without the extra costs.
Lo speeds are legal to 25mph, not that much more then a golf cart......besides, I am not in a hurry now that I live in TV
Lots of people have Stars, Gem cars, Par cars etc.
We have a yamaha gas and a clubcar electric now.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadie View Post
You should be careful about getting an LSV just for the tax credit. If you want an LSV, it is a great deal. But if you don't, take a look a the extra cost over 5-10 years. I got a quote from Allstate for an LSV and it was around $65 per month. Plus add in the fees for License Plates and annual registration, and that tax credit is long gone after about 5 years.

I imagine you can just register it as an LSV for the first year, then drop back to golf cart status. Might violate some IRS rule, but can't imagine you would get caught.
That's weird, I called Allstate and they quoted me $120 - 160 per YEAR based on amount of coverage desired.

Using their figures (assuming 140/year), after 5 years, the total cost (including registration/tags) is $1325 versus $300 for a golf cart (assuming insurance for $60/year). This means an extra cost of $1025 over 5 years - which means a net savings of over $4,000 once the tax credit of $5,400 is figured in.

Yes, you are "required" to wear a seat belt, but I find that to be a good thing. I think people who ride around in their golf cart without one are taking a big risk and I would have to pay more for a golf cart with them added. Besides, now when I take a guest in the cart I can "blame" the state for making him wear a seat belt - thus lowering my risk of being sued for his medical expenses in the case of an accident.

Last edited by NJblue; 09-23-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Veteran member

Interesting insurance quote. I called my agent and he tried 3 different companies. All ranged between $500-$600. Of course, it is also based on the value of the cart, so I estimated the value to be between $8500-$9500 for the Star car based on the extras that I would have put on. Remeber also that the new DMV costs are $225 charge for the first time registration PLUS the $45 actual registration cost. I currently have an EZGO electric cart for which I am paying $56/year for insurance through Foremost. Can't believe that all of the extra cost is worth the 4 MPH that I would gain!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Can't believe that all of the extra cost is worth the 4 MPH that I would gain!
Yup, without the federal subsidy, I wouldn't even consider it. However, if the feds in their infinite wisdom want to throw over $5K at me, it becomes somewhat of a no-brainer - as long as the insurance is in the range that I was quoted. I called back and am awaiting confirmation of that rate.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Gold member

Just talked to Allstate again. They seem to be in a state of flux with respect to what they are quoting and the distinction between a golf cart and an LSV. They acknowledged that when I called several weeks ago that they were quoting 120-160, but they said that they were then writing them up as golf carts. Since then, with all of the increased attention as a result of the tax credit Allstate has decided that since it must be registered and licensed they have to charge a higher rate corresponding to an auto policy. So, they are now quoting $440 as their lowest policy. However, they are trying to work through the corporate bureaucracy and get that reduced since the risk factor between an LSV and a golf cart driven in the villages is very similar.

Even with the higher insurance rate, the 5-year cost picture is still $2500 in favor of an LSV over a golf cart.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 PM

Sorry Blue just can't say anything more.. Just saying talk to those owners on the square and you will see and also talk to the area cart wholesalers and you will find out quickly what I am refering to.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:20 PM

you forget to add in the extra cost of the lsv between 1000 and 2000 over
golf cart and you still forgetting to add in the yearly registration fee's
sound to me more like a push
Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmchale View Post
you forget to add in the extra cost of the lsv between 1000 and 2000 over
golf cart and you still forgetting to add in the yearly registration fee's
sound to me more like a push
The LSV package is $500 and I did include the registration fees.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamike View Post
Sorry Blue just can't say anything more.. Just saying talk to those owners on the square and you will see and also talk to the area cart wholesalers and you will find out quickly what I am refering to.
I understand the point about talking to current owners. I talked to my neighbor who is happy with his, but perhaps a larger sample would be appropriate. However, the part about the area "wholesalers" has me confused. First, who are area wholesalers? I'm only aware of retailers. Secondly, if there actually are wholesalers they are competitors of Star. Why would I ever believe what a competitor says about their rivals?

Last edited by NJblue; 09-24-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar guy View Post
You may want to look at other LSV's that are not Chinese made and give you more for your dollar. Take care kar guy
We have looked at Par Car, Tomberlin and GEM. They all suffered from severe lack of leg room. The best cart from a leg room perspective was the Club Car DS. Unfortunately, they don't have an LSV package.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.