Star Golf Carts?

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Hello all. I would like to let you good folks know first hand about the "Star" brand golf carts. I personally would only choose to have one as a "last resort" to walking. They may look nice on the outside and have a appealing LSV option but don't be fooled. The are very poorly made Chinese "knock offs" of the much better built american carts. (Club Car, Yamaha, and E-Z-Go) They have very poorly engineered electrical components as well as below standard steering and drive train parts. For what me "two cent" is worth, be warned.. I am well seasoned in all fields of golf carts and trust me, don't buy one. Thanks to all who read this. Have a wonderful day.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Gold member

So, you want to use your very first post on TOTV to provide "first hand" information about the Star Car. But, then you don't provide any first hand knowledge. I wonder why.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 PM

A star car is chinese junk. Way to many prblems.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:43 AM

Yes, I did infact choose to inform everyone on how much of a piece of Chinese Junk a STAR car is for my first post. As far as my first hand dealings with Star cars, where do I begin. I can honestly say that I have more Hands on time with Star carts than 99% of the people that use this forum. First off, Most places that DID sell them stopped for a good reason. They spent more time fixing warranty issues than selling the product. What kind of warranty issues you may ask? Replacing brand new brake components, rear end components or entire rear ends, multiple electrical components and entire wiring harnesses. Even better, what about having a spindle shear off? Does that sound fun to you? I have personally repaired countlessl Star carts that were still under "factory warranty" but there is just one thing. I don't warranty them as i don't sell them. Its pretty bad when you buy a Brand New golf cart with a warranty and something goes wrong and you have to pay a private person such as myself to repair it because the company that sold it to you either went under or made a choice to discontinue the sales of these carts. Honestly, what would I have to gain by coming to the forum and lying? I wouldn't gain a thing, that why im here to prevent people from blowing the money they have saved all their lives on these junk cart. Anyone on here can ask me ANYTHING about any golf cart made and I will give you the most honest answer you could ever want. Thanks for reading and have a good one.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Sage

Thanks for posting, Golfcarguy - a somewhat rough start, but what the heck. Don't be a stranger. We can always use the input from dealers and service techs, as well as cart owners.

Come back often and contribute your experience.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:17 AM

Do you have to register the LSV to get the tax credit? Or can you just buy a LSV that meets the criteria for the tax credit get the credit and not register the vehicle just use it like a regular golf cart?
Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 PM

Golfcartguy, thank you for your clear and informative post. From what I read you have no dog in the fight. Those of us who are in the dark about golf cart particulars are greatful to read posts from someone who actually knows what he's talking about. Please don't let a couple of know it alls prevent you from addressing any future questions. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

I might be wrong, but I think that if you buy a LSV it has a title and must be registered.
also you will need a drivers license to operate it.
If you get stopped or have an accident and they find it was not registered you can end up paying big fines and a possible suspension of your drivers license.
It is something you might want to check on first before making a decision one way or the other.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Default Star Carts

Thanks for all your advice on the LSV and Star cart. In checking out the potential additional costs, I called State Farm agent who quoted me approx. $180-200 annually. She equated it to policies currently being written for the Tomberlin street legal cart. But, after reading the difference between the Allstate quotes, I might reconsider. Thanks again--good advice. I'll make a decision soon!
Old 09-29-2009, 01:39 PM

Buy American and kept the jobs in the US
Old 10-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Default Star Car

Thanks golfcartguy.
We wish we had seen this before we bought our Star cart. We have had some problems with our cart but the dealer was very good about servicing it, however, one of the problems was never solved. Now that a new retailer has taken over, we cannot get any service at all. It's been 3 weeks and we still have not received any satisfaction or even a phone call. Is anyone else out there having this problem? If so, who else can we go to? I think we're stuck here. We might think about buying another cart, even though, we do like our Star cart very much. The only other cart we liked was the par car. But they wouldn't budge on their pricing, so we bought the Star. We've had a club cart but we like the ability to go 60 miles on a charge, plus the club cart was rather slow. Is there any other cart out there that does this?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

wmchale, why people who were born in the US of A and have worked their entire lives in the US of A and draw a pension from an American company and social security from our government buy foreign cars and foreign carts is beyond me. I own 2 Club Cars and drive two Chrylser cars and are extremely happy with all of them, just my 2 cents.....GN
Old 10-08-2009, 02:46 PM

I have a GEM LSV ....I only pay about 150 a year...they are not expensive to drive or insure. If I were you I would look at the Chrysler's GEM just to compare. We love ours and there are some great deals on new and used ones at the Chrysler dealers around us in the TVs....just a suggestion.
Good Luck.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:54 PM

Golf nut .....

I AGREE with you ....BUY AMERICAN ....BUY AMERICAN ....BUY AMERICAN
Old 10-22-2009, 07:56 PM

I thank everyone who thanked me for my knowledge. I will never let any so called "know it alls" who likely know nothing about golf carts discourage me from giving anyone my input. I will help any way I can to Make sure people are informed. Im sure none of you worked your whole lives to waste your hard earned money. Anyhow, As far as carts going 60 miles per charge other than Par-Cars, It can be done to Club Cars. I have personally done it to I think 10 now. They aproach upwards of 70 miles per charge. The will do this because they are much lighter then Par-Cars since the have all aluminum frames where Par-Cars are all steel. I actually cut the middle Battery tray completely out, Custom build an all aluminum battery box to hold the extra batteries and weld it all up in the carts frame just like it was manufactured that way.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.