Star Golf Carts?

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 PM

I dont understand why anyone would want to be driving a 600 pound golf cart going 25 mph and having 4,000 pound vehicles whipping by you at sometimes twice the speed. Is your life worth a tax credit??
I think sometimes here in The Villages we tend to forget that these are just GOLF CARTS that are truely designed for traveling on grass at speeds up to 10 miles per hour. It is dangerous enough on the cart paths don't you know?
And yes with all that said I do have one and looking to buy another, but not some silly, come run me over, STREET GOLF CART.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Well I think from what everyone is seeing here and reading here it is pretty plain to see that STAR is truely not the STAR. NJ BLUE, I am sure you are getting a good idea now. I only stated in prior posts about "talk to the wholesalers" because those are the people that know what they want to put in their rental fleets or not. Yes thats right, many of the wholesales have rental fleets and they need dependable carts, not ones that they have to fix all the time. I know some and talk to them and it is very interesting to see what manufacturers are winners and which are losers when it comes to quality and reliability. Just saying here as a guy who hates to see people get ripped off, please investigate and buy wisely.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:48 PM

My neighbor has had a 6 seat STAR cart for 4 yrs and is very happy with it.
I just bought one (dont have it yet) and my CPA confirmed that I do NOT have to register it with the state. The tax law has no such requirement.

Total cost of new 4 seater cart after tax credit was about $1000 with tax.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Default Star Golf Carts

I bought a new star LSV, mostly for the convertible rear seat - it was delivered last night - bunch of problems - first, the cart would only go 21 mph - brakes are weak - canvas missing or ill fitting, cart was dirty, etc. Anyway, I canceled my check and will see what happens, thanks.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

ajm, there are aftermarket back seat conversions for EZGO and Club Car, the thread is elsewhere here
Old 12-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Default Lsv's

Just to add to the conversation reguarding LSV'S, after you purchased a LSV you will have a vin number that is registered in the state, if you drive without a license plate or insurance you will get a ticket. You must have PIP insurance with a golf cart, same as a car. What that means is your golf car will have the same insurance you have on your car. I got my insurance through State Farm for 136.00 a year.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

df4801

Suggest you get a NEW CPA...here is the Tax Bulletin that applies to tax credits for electric vehicles and it clearly states that you need to be the original owner ( not used or no Demo) for personal use and it must be acquired which is defined as titled in accordanmce with the laws of the state.

Plug-In Electric Vehicle Credit (IRC 30 and IRC 30D)

Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicles (IRC 30D) and
Plug-in Electric Vehicles (IRC 30)

Updated: 11-20-09

Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicles (IRC 30D)
Internal Revenue Code Section 30D provides a credit for Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicles which include low-speed vehicles, and passenger vehicles and light trucks. The amount of the credit is equal to the sum of $ 2,500 plus $ 417 for each kilowatt-hour of traction battery capacity in excess of four kilowatt-hours. The maximum credit can range from $ 7,500 to $ 15,000, depending on the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle.

To qualify, the vehicle must be placed in service after December 31, 2008, and must be acquired by December 31, 2009. The vehicle must be acquired for use or lease and not for resale. Additionally, the original use of the vehicle must commence with the taxpayer and the vehicle must be used predominantly in the United States.

Section 30D originally was enacted in the Energy Improvement and Extension Act of 2008. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 amended section 30D effective for vehicles acquired after December 31, 2009. Information provided below on qualified vehicles applies only to vehicles acquired by December 31, 2009.

Notice 2009-54 provides procedures that a vehicle manufacturer may use if it chooses to certify that a vehicle meets certain requirements that must be satisfied to claim the new Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit and the amount of the credit allowable with respect to that vehicle. Notice 2009-54 applies to vehicles acquired by December 31, 2009.

Plug-in Electric Vehicles (IRC 30)
Internal Revenue Code Section 30 provides a credit for qualified plug-in electric vehicles. The credit is equal to 10 percent of the cost of a qualified plug-in electric vehicle and is limited to $2,500. Qualified vehicles may include low-speed vehicles or vehicles that have two or three wheels.

Vehicles must be acquired after February 17, 2009, and before January 1, 2012. The vehicle must be acquired for use or lease and not for resale. Additionally, the original use of the vehicle must commence with the taxpayer and the vehicle must be used predominantly in the United States.

Notice 2009-58 provides procedures for a vehicle manufacturer to certify to the Internal Revenue Service that a vehicle of a particular make, model, and model year meets the requirements that must be satisfied to claim the new plug-in electric vehicle credit under § 30
The key here is must be acquired and the IRS further explains what Acquried means as

Tax Credit for Plug-In Electric Drive Vehicles Acquired on or before Dec. 31, 2009
Q. What does “acquired” mean?

A. To qualify, the vehicle must be acquired on or before Dec. 31, 2009, under the laws of the state in which the vehicle was purchased. Generally, under state law, a binding contract to purchase a vehicle by itself does not count as acquiring a vehicle. For a taxpayer to have acquired the vehicle, he or she must have title to it under state law.

Last edited by 784caroline; 12-05-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Default Plug In Energy Credit

The IRS web site lists the carts (manufacturers) if purchased before 12/31/09 qualify for the credit. Star Car is not amongst them. This notice was updated on 12/4/09.

It does not matter what the dealer may have told you. If the IRS has not certified the cart - it doesn't qualify.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Default Star Cars are listed with the IRS

Star cars are in the list under J H Global Services, Inc. You can see it here:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/articl...214849,00.html
Old 12-19-2009, 08:25 PM

784caroline

suggest you re-read my post.

You do NOT have to register if you are only driving off road or in your subdivison. Still get tax credit. Confirmed with TWO CPA's

I really think a lot of the negative posts are from Club Car or Yamaha dealers who are mad that their companies were too stupid to make a LSV for 2009.

By the way, Club Car is making a LSV for 2010. I hope the tax credit is cancelled for them. LOL
Old 10-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Default star

I pay 243.00 per year for coverage thru Hartford AARP. I also recieved the tax credit that expired on Dec. 31.2009. I must say the only reason I purchased the star was the tax credit. That being said I have found it to be reliable and comfortable to drive. I also have an older club car that I like. Just for anyone's information the new Star Dealer is a reliable dealer with six Florida golf cart locations.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Default Star Carts

I believe Star Cars are just as reliable, if not better than its competition. Ive been driving Stars around for about two years now. As with any golf car, you'll come across problems here and there. I find the new dealer, AllStar, to be some of the nicest, respectable, and knowledgable people around that not only service the Star, but any make any model. They stand behind thier work and thier product. As for the look of the Star, one of a kind. The SS LTD model they have blows the competition away. I would recommend Star to anyone. As for the "Buy in America" idea. What cart out there is COMPLETELY made of american parts? Star is made up of more than 60% American made parts and assembled in Simpsonville SC. But dont take my word for it! But do give these great folks at AllStar a look...I think youll love what you see.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

We just came back from talking to the people at AllStar. This after visitng ParCar and EzGo in TV.I came on here looking for reviews on Star Golf Cars not the LSV's Though we have not made a decision yet we were the most impressed with the Star Golf Car especially the SS LTD! Awesome look and ride. Nice accessories and upgrades for less money than Par Car and EZ GO. We also were very impressed with the couple working there. Very informative and helpful and he formerly worked for Par Car We'll definitely be giving them a second look!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Platinum member

I am confused. The only STAR golf cart business that I was aware of is in Best Buy Plaza. Is there another or new STAR dealer?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdleo View Post
We just came back from talking to the people at AllStar. This after visitng ParCar and EzGo in TV.I came on here looking for reviews on Star Golf Cars not the LSV's Though we have not made a decision yet we were the most impressed with the Star Golf Car especially the SS LTD! Awesome look and ride. Nice accessories and upgrades for less money than Par Car and EZ GO. We also were very impressed with the couple working there. Very informative and helpful and he formerly worked for Par Car We'll definitely be giving them a second look!
They have an interesting corporate website. They are very careful not to stress the "made in China" aspect with regard to components and parts. Still interesting.
http://www.starelectricvehicles.com/

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.