Stolen American Flag

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2017, 04:46 PM
Default Stolen American Flag

My American Flag was stolen off the back of my golf car at the Lake Denton Publix. Was parked in a Handicap spot, they did not steal my placard or anything else. To take the flag, they had to unscrew from the golf car mount and that would have taken a little time. This happened around 3pm today. I was told there are no cameras looking toward the parking lot. I would have given them the flag if they wanted one and bought flags for others if wanted, however since it was stolen i wanted to have a record of it, I filed a report with the Sumter County Sheriff's Office. Case # is SCS017CADO29237. The flag and pole cost around 30$ and I think there should be a public record of it happening. I will buy another one today.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran member

We need cameras everywhere in The Villages.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:19 PM

Good for you. The flag was ultimately destined to be tossed into the bushes along side of the road somewhere which is totally disrespectful, but the act itself was vandalism which is criminal. If caught in the act the perpetrators probably would not have been smart enough to know what it was they were doing wrong. They no doubt will eventually learn hopefully without a cost to society beyond the $ 30 bucks for your flag.

Since I am probably at this juncture considered anal by some, I might as well go on record by saying all of the citizens of this great country, be they veterans , or not, owe respect to the flag. It is not an ornament to be displayed in a garden and left to be slowly destroyed by the elements. It is not a decoration to be flown in a spate of sudden found patriotism an left to fray when it is forgotten. Too many of our fellow citizens have given their lives to protect this symbol of our democracy for these things to happen to it.

I am sure the OP feels similarly . Flag etiquette pamphlets are readily available from The American Legion and other veterans organizations. They are often included in the package when a flag is purchased.

And for the 1st Amendment folks who will take exception, no I do not believe the symbol of our wonderful country needs legal protection. It's symbolism transcends any legal necessity.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

RivaRidger.

Well said.

I cannot even think why someone would take the time and effort to steal our flag to obviously dishonor it.

It breaks my heart and scares me. These are times never seen by me before.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts

Gracie---that is unbelievable that someone would steal an American flag from your golf cart. What is the matter with people?
Old 04-08-2017, 10:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm thinking the two 767's slamming into the Trade Center rate a bit higher then some moron unscrewing a flag off a golf cart. The times have been changing.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

There was a father on Facebook yesterday who patiently listened to his son as to the the reasons he was suspended from high school for not standing to salute the flag. The dad erupted and buried this child and let him know in no uncertain terms that while he was living under his roof he would in fact stand and say the pledge of allegiance with his classmates each day and the rites he thinks he has don't kick in until he is paying his own way. Trust me it took guts for this dad to say these words because to me it looked like this kid could have squashed him. I was so proud of the dad. The son was testing his boundaries and found he had some and the were tight.

As far as your Golf Cart Flag....I'm tired, it's been an emotional day, my old bosses 30 year old daughter died from a heroin overdose. She had been battling this for over 12 years. The first thought that came to my mind in the Flag Caper is an unemployed NFL quarterback who has no respect for our flag and has a whole lot of time on his hands. Stranger things have happened. I hope who ever did it owns up to it and replaces it for you. What a pinheaded thing to do.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:19 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Sad
Old 04-09-2017, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
My American Flag was stolen off the back of my golf car at the Lake Denton Publix. Was parked in a Handicap spot, they did not steal my placard or anything else. To take the flag, they had to unscrew from the golf car mount and that would have taken a little time. This happened around 3pm today. I was told there are no cameras looking toward the parking lot. I would have given them the flag if they wanted one and bought flags for others if wanted, however since it was stolen i wanted to have a record of it, I filed a report with the Sumter County Sheriff's Office. Case # is SCS017CADO29237. The flag and pole cost around 30$ and I think there should be a public record of it happening. I will buy another one today.
Glad you made a police report. Maybe it will happen again and they will have cameras there.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Gracie---that is unbelievable that someone would steal an American flag from your golf cart. What is the matter with people?
Not mine, Jim. I was responding the way most of us would.

I hope it just blew away and it was not meant to be ugly.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-09-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:34 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default Flag

Was this one of the days with the high wind? I had an American flag and a Patriots flag on my cart, also mounted with a screw on mount and came out of a store on a real windy day and the Patriots flag was gone. Turns out the cart over time had vibrated the screw loose and the high wind took the flag. I found it and the mount on the edge of the parking lot. Maybe your mount was a better type than mine, but I now check the screws every once in a while and they are usually a bit loose and require tightening.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Was this one of the days with the high wind? I had an American flag and a Patriots flag on my cart, also mounted with a screw on mount and came out of a store on a real windy day and the Patriots flag was gone. Turns out the cart over time had vibrated the screw loose and the high wind took the flag. I found it and the mount on the edge of the parking lot. Maybe your mount was a better type than mine, but I now check the screws every once in a while and they are usually a bit loose and require tightening.
It was yesterday and the pole screwed into the base about two inches deep. Base still on cart. Not windy.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Platinum member

We were in that area yesterday and saw a flag off the side of the path on a bush. Maybe it fell off!!!!
Old 05-13-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
We need cameras everywhere in The Villages.
I am sure they are installed in each courtyard villa to keep an eye on us!
never sit in your underwear and watch TV !
Old 05-13-2017, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
We were in that area yesterday and saw a flag off the side of the path on a bush. Maybe it fell off!!!!
Sometimes I think there are people who live by the motto of... "never attribute to nature/accidents, what can be blamed on someone doing something wrong."
Closed Thread

Tags
flag, stolen, wanted, record, today

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.