Update on policy change on mph on new golf carts bought at villages golf car stores

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2017, 03:52 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills
Default Update on policy change on mph on new golf carts bought at villages golf car stores

OK EVERYONE!!! Hold on. I just got a call from the head of sales from Villages Golf Cars. THEY HAVE NOT CHANGED THEIR POLICY on how the 2017 's are set. There was miscommunication with their staff who passed on to some buyers, my friends, that there was a new policy to set the carts at 23 mph like Carts and Clubs in Ocala does. They are in discussion with Yamaha and are looking into it but HAVE NOT changed the policy to date so stay tuned. They are going to call me when it is straightened out so I can give you the facts as they emerge. It is a controversial issue and they are trying to come to an understanding with Yamaha about the right thing to do here in The Villages. That's all that is for now. THE VILLAGES is NOT upping the speed to 23 at this time. New carts are being sold at 20 mph. Their salespeople were misunderstanding a meeting they had and passed on wrong information. Will get back to you when this is updated. They are also discussing having the ability to get carts set at 23 serviced in The Villages, but this is under discussion as well. I will share info as I get it. Sorry for saying they changed their policy but it came from the sales people who were not understanding they were only discussing it.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Unlawful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
OK EVERYONE!!! Hold on. I just got a call from the head of sales from Villages Golf Cars. THEY HAVE NOT CHANGED THEIR POLICY on how the 2017 's are set. There was miscommunication with their staff who passed on to some buyers, my friends, that there was a new policy to set the carts at 23 mph like Carts and Clubs in Ocala does. They are in discussion with Yamaha and are looking into it but HAVE NOT changed the policy to date so stay tuned. They are going to call me when it is straightened out so I can give you the facts as they emerge. It is a controversial issue and they are trying to come to an understanding with Yamaha about the right thing to do here in The Villages. That's all that is for now. THE VILLAGES is NOT upping the speed to 23 at this time. New carts are being sold at 20 mph. Their salespeople were misunderstanding a meeting they had and passed on wrong information. Will get back to you when this is updated. They are also discussing having the ability to get carts set at 23 serviced in The Villages, but this is under discussion as well. I will share info as I get it. Sorry for saying they changed their policy but it came from the sales people who were not understanding they were only discussing it.
Just a reminder that under Florida Law, if your golf cart is capable of exceeding 20 mph it does not meet the definition of "golf cart."

The police might regard it as an unlicensed LSV, which does not have the required license tag, registration, and insurance. Now, I'm not suggesting you will be apprehended by an officer running radar, but if you were ever in a crash in which someone was injured, you could be financially at risk if your cart were found to be illegal.

"“Golf cart” means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour." - Florida Statute 320.01 Paragraph 22.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

At least this 23 mph set point from Ocala answers a question I've had since I moved her, which is---Why do I seem to have the slowest cart around? Even if I get mine up to 20.6, there are a bunch of carts that pass me or run up my rear from many blocks back. At least I won't be getting a ticket.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

I find it hard to believe that any business would deliberately set a golf cart to be able to break the law. This sounds like a lawsuit just waiting to happen. As stated previously, these are considered to be unlicensed LSL. My understanding, if you get pulled over other otherwise attract the interest of the local police. They may decide to TEST your cart, and if it goes above 20 MPH get ready for some serious fines, well over $500. Also, if you are involved in an accident, and it is determined your cart can go over 20 MPH, I am sure your insurance (you do have insurance right?) will NOT be honored.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:35 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I find it hard to believe that any business would deliberately set a golf cart to be able to break the law. This sounds like a lawsuit just waiting to happen. As stated previously, these are considered to be unlicensed LSL. My understanding, if you get pulled over other otherwise attract the interest of the local police. They may decide to TEST your cart, and if it goes above 20 MPH get ready for some serious fines, well over $500. Also, if you are involved in an accident, and it is determined your cart can go over 20 MPH, I am sure your insurance (you do have insurance right?) will NOT be honored.

Exactly.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:53 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I believe too much is being made over a 3mph increase. I bet if a study were conducted given the number of golf carts, bikes, pedestrians on MMP's the avg speed would be less than 17mph. all this fuss when the number 1 violation causing accidents is inattention.

I wish the OP kept that info to himself. He has made the natives restless again
Old 02-13-2017, 07:05 AM
Gold member
Default And yet thousands of motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
shops will gladly install exhausts that not only violate local and state laws, but federal laws as well...while we live in a self professed bubble our minds should not.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:29 AM

I wonder how many golf cart accidents are caused by excess speed?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
At least this 23 mph set point from Ocala answers a question I've had since I moved her, which is---Why do I seem to have the slowest cart around? Even if I get mine up to 20.6, there are a bunch of carts that pass me or run up my rear from many blocks back. At least I won't be getting a ticket.
Changing the top speed of a Yamaha gas cart takes about 2 minutes. You remove the black plastic plate on the back where the golf bag sits. Tighten the accelerator linkage to the carburetor to the shortest distance and then suddenly you can go from 20 to 25 mph. After far the newer EFI carts I'm not sure how that would be done. I did mine for awhile and I found the cart ran the smoothest at 22mph, but I felt it wasn't worth the risks involved and moved it back to the original position. Now I have carts fly by me, but it doesn't phase me a bit. So it take 5 minutes longer to get to the course, when you're playing you go the same speed as before.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Changing the top speed of a Yamaha gas cart takes about 2 minutes. You remove the black plastic plate on the back where the golf bag sits. Tighten the accelerator linkage to the carburetor to the shortest distance and then suddenly you can go from 20 to 25 mph. After far the newer EFI carts I'm not sure how that would be done. I did mine for awhile and I found the cart ran the smoothest at 22mph, but I felt it wasn't worth the risks involved and moved it back to the original position. Now I have carts fly by me, but it doesn't phase me a bit. So it take 5 minutes longer to get to the course, when you're playing you go the same speed as before.
Yes the Villages Golf cart store set ours at 17. We turned the screw just a tiny bit and now the cart goes 20. Every time we take it in to service they turn it back to 17.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

The point behind the discussion of the setting of the golf cart is not to be promoting speed. The original discussion and this follow up has to do with the fact I was told that with the new 2017, with its high performance clutch, it operated better set at 23. The Villages disputed that; Carts and Clubs said that is what they had been told by Yamaha. I was confused between the two opinions. As someone buying a new 2017 golf cart and spending a significant amount to do so, I was/am of course curious as to who is the best company to buy from, who is telling the truth, and what is the best way to have my cart set.

So I called Yamaha and was clearly told that the new carts should be set at 23 because of the high performance clutch. So I shared that information with The Villages Golf Stores. They in turn called Yamaha. Yamaha then called me and demanded to know who told me this. When I told them it was their rep, as well as they wanted to know when I called, and I had all that on my phone, they told me no opinion is to be given on this topic. Someone from Villages Car Store also called Yamaha and talked to the rep, and got the same opinion as I got, and again, Yamaha demanded to know who they talked to. So there is confusion on this matter with the new golf carts. Enough confusion that there was a meeting with the President of Yamaha and The Villages Golf Cars to discuss the issue, all because of my questioning. So now The Villages is looking at their policy around the settings of the golf carts as well as servicing carts set at the 23 mph. No decision made.

I think this is important information to share. Many people are looking to buy or have bought the new 2017's. It's an expensive purchase. We should all be informed of any issues concerning the carts.

And if people want to debate, that is what this forum is for. And if you are not interested, do not read the thread!
Old 02-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
The point behind the discussion of the setting of the golf cart is not to be promoting speed. The original discussion and this follow up has to do with the fact I was told that with the new 2017, with its high performance clutch, it operated better set at 23. The Villages disputed that; Carts and Clubs said that is what they had been told by Yamaha. I was confused between the two opinions. As someone buying a new 2017 golf cart and spending a significant amount to do so, I was/am of course curious as to who is the best company to buy from, who is telling the truth, and what is the best way to have my cart set.

So I called Yamaha and was clearly told that the new carts should be set at 23 because of the high performance clutch. So I shared that information with The Villages Golf Stores. They in turn called Yamaha. Yamaha then called me and demanded to know who told me this. When I told them it was their rep, as well as they wanted to know when I called, and I had all that on my phone, they told me no opinion is to be given on this topic. Someone from Villages Car Store also called Yamaha and talked to the rep, and got the same opinion as I got, and again, Yamaha demanded to know who they talked to. So there is confusion on this matter with the new golf carts. Enough confusion that there was a meeting with the President of Yamaha and The Villages Golf Cars to discuss the issue, all because of my questioning. So now The Villages is looking at their policy around the settings of the golf carts as well as servicing carts set at the 23 mph. No decision made.

I think this is important information to share. Many people are looking to buy or have bought the new 2017's. It's an expensive purchase. We should all be informed of any issues concerning the carts.
Thank you for keeping us informed.

It's pretty obvious that The Villages cart sales are in a conundrum.

Do they lose sales for those that want their carts set at 23 mph, or continue to set them at 17-20...and lose sales?

It wouldn't surprise me a bit, if a lawsuit against the off-campus dealers occurs.

It will certainly be interesting to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657
And if people want to debate, that is what this forum is for. And if you are not interested, do not read the thread!
Exactly!

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 02-13-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:34 AM

The discussion about 23 mph versus 20 mph must include the fact that under Florida law, as others have stated, a golf cart can not exceed 20 mph. Similar vehicles that can go between 20 and 25 mph are considered LSV (Low Speed Vehicles) and MUST be registered, licensed with a current state license plate, and insured per Florida statutes. The driver must hold a valid drivers license. So let the buyer beware.

The owner of golf carts and LSV's are the ones responsible for following the law. A dealer can modify the governor to exceed 20 mph, but the buyer is the one expected to follow Florida law. Decide if you own a golf cart or an LSV. Speed limit on MMP's is 20 mph max regardless of the vehicle..
Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Sage

There is no provision for enforcement of a speed limit on the MMPs so there is, in effect, no speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
The discussion about 23 mph versus 20 mph must include the fact that under Florida law, as others have stated, a golf cart can not exceed 20 mph. Similar vehicles that can go between 20 and 25 mph are considered LSV (Low Speed Vehicles) and MUST be registered, licensed with a current state license plate, and insured per Florida statutes. The driver must hold a valid drivers license. So let the buyer beware.

The owner of golf carts and LSV's are the ones responsible for following the law. A dealer can modify the governor to exceed 20 mph, but the buyer is the one expected to follow Florida law. Decide if you own a golf cart or an LSV. Speed limit on MMP's is 20 mph max regardless of the vehicle..
Old 02-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Gold member
Default Law needs to apply to everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I believe too much is being made over a 3mph increase. I bet if a study were conducted given the number of golf carts, bikes, pedestrians on MMP's the avg speed would be less than 17mph. all this fuss when the number 1 violation causing accidents is inattention.

I wish the OP kept that info to himself. He has made the natives restless again
If, you believe 3 mph does not matter, there will be someone who then thinks well if 23 is ok I will adjust my cart to 26.
You can buy a kit that will with a motor change get the club car up to 35.
ARE YOU-ARE WE IN THAT MUCH OF A HURRY TO RELAX?
You, we all know if your cart will do 23 you will do 23.
Closed Thread

Tags
carts, policy, villages, set, changed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.