Wheels and tires

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Default Wheels and tires

I am getting a 2017 Yamaha EFI delivered soon and will be replacing the factory wheels and tires on it

I can get 10 inch wheels with 205/65-10 tires or 12 inch wheels with 215/50-12, cost is similar.

The 215/50-12 tires are low profile but not extremely low profile

Just wondering what the experts here have to say on ride quality, steering etc for the two options.

I asked Villages Golf Carts and Carts and Clubs the same question and they both said they don't like putting 12 inch wheels on because of balancing problems. Wondering if this is BS as I see a lot of 12 inch wheels on carts here.

PS will be selling the brand new 10 inch wheels and tires that come with the cart
Old 02-20-2017, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Lot of par cars have the 12" which raises the height of the cart and does affect balance some at full speed if turning. You have to be cautious entering tunnels and not come in or out too close to the walls. due to the extra height. As far as 10" vs 12" wheel and tire combination. Compare the overall height. Low profile may not be enough on 12" Rims to equal the same height of 10" wheel and tire combination. If your cart comes with 8 in tires and you have speedometer it will have to be adjusted to the difference is height(outside Diameter)) or the speed reading will be couple MPH slow and may raise the top speed of the cart by couple MPH, I sure they will take care of that where ever you have the wheels put on.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Lot of par cars have the 12" which raises the height of the cart and does affect balance some at full speed if turning. You have to be cautious entering tunnels and not come in or out too close to the walls. due to the extra height. As far as 10" vs 12" wheel and tire combination. Compare the overall height. Low profile may not be enough on 12" Rims to equal the same height of 10" wheel and tire combination. If your cart comes with 8 in tires and you have speedometer it will have to be adjusted to the difference is height(outside Diameter)) or the speed reading will be couple MPH slow and may raise the top speed of the cart by couple MPH, I sure they will take care of that where ever you have the wheels put on.
Thanks. The 2017 Yamaha EFI PTV cart comes with 10 inch wheels. The diameter of both tires I listed above is 20.5 inches so overall height will be the same either way, and a small speed increase will also be the same.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

With your screen name you must be a golfer. I once rode with a golfer who's cart had 12" wheels. It probably isn't a big thing, maybe since I'm 5'9" I noticed more, but it seemed like a big chore to get in and out of the cart for each shot. After a round of 18 holes I felt more tired with those bigger wheels.

My 2011 Yamaha I bought new had the 205/65-10 tires and the only thing I noticed was when my cart was dialed up to 25 mph, the cart seemed a little more top heavy and you needed drive the cart more if you when driving near top speed of 25. I think a driver with less skill could tip over if not careful. I have since dialed my cart back to 20 mph, I figured it wasn't worth the risk, I had it the other way for 5 years. The cart now handles great at 20 mph, although I felt it rode, sounded and handled best at 22mph.

I had considered getting the low profile tires because I thought it would handle better, but the original tires on my Villages Yamaha Cart still look almost new after 5-1/2 years.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
With your screen name you must be a golfer. I once rode with a golfer who's cart had 12" wheels. It probably isn't a big thing, maybe since I'm 5'9" I noticed more, but it seemed like a big chore to get in and out of the cart for each shot. After a round of 18 holes I felt more tired with those bigger wheels.

My 2011 Yamaha I bought new had the 205/65-10 tires and the only thing I noticed was when my cart was dialed up to 25 mph, the cart seemed a little more top heavy and you needed drive the cart more if you when driving near top speed of 25. I think a driver with less skill could tip over if not careful. I have since dialed my cart back to 20 mph, I figured it wasn't worth the risk, I had it the other way for 5 years. The cart now handles great at 20 mph, although I felt it rode, sounded and handled best at 22mph.

I had considered getting the low profile tires because I thought it would handle better, but the original tires on my Villages Yamaha Cart still look almost new after 5-1/2 years.
Thanks for comment. Just so you know, your 205/65-10 tires are 20.5 inches in diameter, which is the same diameter as the lower profile tires (215/50-12) I would put on the the 12 inch wheels, so no difference in overall cart height either way. Possibly you rode in a cart with 14 inch wheels or maybe it was lifted.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt4Dough View Post
Thanks for comment. Just so you know, your 205/65-10 tires are 20.5 inches in diameter, which is the same diameter as the lower profile tires (215/50-12) I would put on the the 12 inch wheels, so no difference in overall cart height either way. Possibly you rode in a cart with 14 inch wheels or maybe it was lifted.
You're probably right, it might of been 14" wheels. It was a special Harley Davidson cart with the pleated metal floor pan, brush guard on the front, special seats, it was very nice, I just remember not liking the getting in and out 2 or 3 times a hole while playing golf.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Gold member

When I have to replace tires, I'm going with the new 205-65-10 steel belted radials.
Offered at Sta Rite Golf Carts.

"We are pleased with the results of the new design 205-65-10 steel belted radials. These tires are stronger and expected to ware better and along with the fantastic smooth ride and steering."

2014 golf cart tire problem
Old 02-21-2017, 06:33 PM

Until a year or two ago when Yamaha carts came with 8" wheels and tires, they both needed to be replaced.

Now with the new 10" wheels and tires, they are both a lot better quality.

They are actually fine 'as is' if you don't mind the hub caps or black wheel look. If you want 'mag' type wheels, you can buy them and use the 10" tires.

The tires are fine and basically the same that you will buy to replace them if you get 10" wheels.

So, if you want snazzy wheels, buy 10" ones and have the tires that came with the cart put on them. You get no better 10" tires by buying new ones.

Many folks have complained about the ride with 12" wheels and tires. They just don't have much side wall cushion.

You might also give the standard wheels and tires a chance for a few months. I suspect that you will feel no need to replace them.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
If the actual diameter will be the same, are looks the reason you are even considering the 12" low profile tires?

One thing for sure, the 12" low profile can't help but have less sidewall...i.e. 'cushioning.'

This may or may not be a big deal for you, but given the choice and knowing how much time I spend in my cart going over a plethora of bumps (all kinds)...I personally would definitely go for the smoother riding 10" tires.

Have you had a chance to drive the same cart with each type of tire...to see if you can tell the difference?

Regardless of which way you go, here's hoping it meets your expectations.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
When I have to replace tires, I'm going with the new 205-65-10 steel belted radials.
Offered at Sta Rite Golf Carts.

"We are pleased with the results of the new design 205-65-10 steel belted radials. These tires are stronger and expected to ware better and along with the fantastic smooth ride and steering."

2014 golf cart tire problem
It would be great to have a smooth tire/ride.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Gold member

I don't know what they mean by "Balancing".

You will get a bit stiffer ride and sharper turning (quicker turn in) with the shorter sidewalls of the 12" but the ride is already excellent with the new suspension on the new QuieTech carts. You might also want to go with a radial 10" which should be stiffer than 4-ply.
The cart will look better with the 12".
Old 02-22-2017, 12:00 PM

I'd be interested in the 10 inch tires you say you may be selling.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
It would be great to have a smooth tire/ride.
might try lowering the tire pressure to 12 or 14 PSI. if you have the tire pressure blown up to 25 plus you won't get any cushioning affect from the tires. I find about 16 to 18 PSI happy medium for me.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:27 AM
Default 12 Inch Wheels & Tires

Quote:
I am getting a 2017 Yamaha EFI delivered soon and will be replacing the factory wheels and tires on it

I can get 10 inch wheels with 205/65-10 tires or 12 inch wheels with 215/50-12, cost is similar.

The 215/50-12 tires are low profile but not extremely low profile

Just wondering what the experts here have to say on ride quality, steering etc for the two options.

I asked Villages Golf Carts and Carts and Clubs the same question and they both said they don't like putting 12 inch wheels on because of balancing problems. Wondering if this is BS as I see a lot of 12 inch wheels on carts here.

PS will be selling the brand new 10 inch wheels and tires that come with the cart
I bought a new 2014 Yamaha from Carts & Clubs with the optional 12" wheels. C&C indicated that the ride may be a little harsher, but hadn't heard anything about balancing issues. I like the looks and haven't had an issue with a harsher ride when I compare mine to my golfing buddies carts with the 10" wheels. These wheels don't stick out as far as the 10" of the same design. No issue with balancing. The retailer told me they send them out with 25 psi (nitrogen) in the tires. I would buy them again if I were to purchase a new cart.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:16 AM

Thanks for all the comments, I went with the 12 inch wheels and 215/50-12 tires.

Anyone interested in the stock wheels and tires please PM me your tel number and I will call you when the cart arrives.
Closed Thread

Tags
wheels, tires, inch, carts, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.