Won't Charge

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Sage

caveat reader, Alan is a DIY golf cart guy..... In addition I have never worked on a Yamaha, but there are things that can be checked with your multimeter...

One thing strikes me right off. 30 miles is not too shabby for batteries that are at least three years old. Has your range diminished recently? What was it before.

How many batteries in this Yamaha? 6-8 volt batteries? Let me know and I will share some numbers I would look for....

Last edited by ajbrown; 05-19-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Sage
Default You said 30 what?

Bismo1999, I am sorry about that, when I read your post I read 30 miles not 30 minutes. Quite a difference. I must have been having a bad morning as you also said US2200 which I now see is a 6 volt battery. I could not have been drinking at 10:14 AM could I? Lets see if I can do better today . Here is what I would do if it were my cart..

First thing I would want to know is if the batteries are charging properly. I should be able to check with the multimeter. I would make these notes:

Time since last charge:
Voltage of battery 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, pack

Put on charger, verify charger comes on......
Document time charge started.
Take voltages periodically during charge, especially as we get to the end of the charge cycle. Each battery should be pushing 8 volts toward the end of the charge, mine get to around 7.8 volts, pack 63 volts.

Each measurement document time, voltage of battery 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,pack

This will indicate if the batteries can take a charge or may indicate a battery that is not charging.

Last edited by ajbrown; 05-20-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.