New Vs. Reconditioned?

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Default New Vs. Reconditioned?

I have been lurking on this forum for weeks and I really appreciate all of the opinions held. Although I have seen numerous threads on gas vs. electric, I have not seen much on new versus reconditioned. I am currently in the market for my first golf cart and was wondering if there is any real cost/effective saving in buying reconditioned? I am interested in a Yamaha gas due to the fact that I live in Amelia and have some friends in Chatham. Any advice is truly appreciated.

The energy of the masses is directly proportional to the speed at which they see the light!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I would suggest you go to Golf Cart Connection where they sell both new and reconditioned. They have a good reputation and should be able to answer all of your questions. When I was looking at carts I liked the EZGO gas, it is 2 cylinder (Yamaha is a 1 cylinder) and seemed to me to be smoother and quieter.....GN
Old 09-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Default Yamaha Gas...New vs. Reconditioned

New vs. reconditioned depends on your budget and how much you will use the cart. The Villages cart sales people make more for selling a reconditioned cart than a new one. They have a bias you should be aware of. Also ask what 'reconditioned' means, it certainly does not include a new or rebuilt engine. The Villages does stand behind their reconditioned carts. Beware of smaller operators, reconditioned may just mean they were cleaned! Between the two of us, we spend eight to ten hours a week in the gas cart and travel about 100 miles a week. We enjoy having a new cart and will trade it in every three years for another new cart. It is a luxury we enjoy.

Charlie
Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie49 View Post
Also ask what 'reconditioned' means, it certainly does not include a new or rebuilt engine.
Actually, Golf Cart Connection DOES include a new electric motor as part of their re-manufacturing process.

Check out their video:

http://www.golfcartconnection.com/video-hires.htm
Old 09-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Default Engine vs. Motor

An electric motor is completely different than a gas engine. An electric motor is about $350 to $450 installed. A new gas engine for a Yamaha is probably over $1800 installed (just a guess). I have an electric cart from Golf Cart Connection and they do truly recondition their carts and provide excellent warranty service. Ask if they put a new engine in their gas reconditioned carts.

Charlie
Old 09-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Sage

The answer is no they don't put a new gas motor in. But not a deal breaker for me since I'm going electric.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Veteran member
Default Different levels of Reconditioned / remanufacured carts

There are different levels of reconditioned carts. You can get one reconditioned / remanufactured from a local dealer like Golf Cart Connection or many others with their warranty or you can get a remanufactured one from the original factory such as Club Car. Cub Car remanufactures their carts in two different levels Silver and Gold. The Gold carts are remanufactured to current year Club Car standards and include from Club Car a new serial number which shows the year of remanufacture the same as a new cart. The warranty is 3 yrs bumper to bumper from Club Car (not the dealer you buy it from) valid at the dealer you purchased it from or any club car dealer. Point is its Club car standing behind the warranty not a local dealer. The silver level doesn't include the new serial number indicating the year of purchase ( just like local remanufactured carts) but again the warranty is a warranty from Club Car. The level of remanufacture may not be as great but the difference between the two levels isn't obvious from reading their information.

I purchased my gold level cart from Masters Golf Carts on 441 and have been very pleased with their service and also saved a lot amount of money. My thinking was no one could remanufacture better then the original factory and if their putting and new serial number on it with the current year - that indicates a they are sure its as good as new.

One major difference between getting a remanufactured cart from Club Car is the motor will be stock and not high speed. It will not exceed 19.6 mph just like a new cart from Club Car.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.