Cat question for those who have gone before

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 PM

I was wondering if anyone had traveled with a cat from Ca. and got my answer from Redwitch. We take our cat camping with all the time and it not a fun trip but he does settle down. We have never done a trip as far as TV though so it should be interesting. Thanks for all the good tips.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We have done a fair amount of moving with kitties and our last move was 2,500 miles. In the car, we never let them out of their cat carrier for safety reasons -- theirs and ours.

We never tranqualize them -- ever!

We use bedpads (actually, the chair size which we cut in half) in the bottom of each carrier in the event they do one of the three Ps -- poop, pee or puke. We also have disinfectant wipes to clean up any residual mess and plastic bags for trash.

When we stop overnight, we take their food and litter box into the motel and bring a dustpan and brush to clean up any litter on the floor.

I must say that although they don't like the ordeal, they seem to do bettr than my husband and I.

Oh, yes . . . We also take a spritz bottle which we fill with water in case they hide under the bed and we can't get them out!

Have a safe trip!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:37 AM
Gold member

Motorhome...
Old 04-23-2014, 07:35 AM

We travel back and forth to New England and this is what works for us. We put our two Ragdolls in a dog cage and cover the top and sides with towels. We leave the side facing us open. The cats lie there quiet as can be the whole 1300 miles. Our male who doesn't like being caged would cry on any trip until we learned this secret.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Default traveled with 5 cats

I came down from CT with 5 cats, 3 of which were senior. I recommend no tranquilizers. One of the cats had an accident because of it. This is what my vet recommended and it worked great. Keep them all in carriers. No food or water in the morning. If they don't eat or drink, they don't need a litterbox. She said they are not like dogs who have to go throughout the day and they didn't need to. We traveled 12-14 hours at a time. We did stop at night and stayed at a pet friendly hotel. I had disposable litter boxes and filled them only slightly, gave them food and water until the morning and let them out in the room during the night. In the am I put them back in their carriers, threw out the boxes, packed up food and we were ready to go. They cried for the first couple hours and then went to sleep. Whatever you do, just do not have them loose in the car or hotel room when you open the door. In the hotel, shut them in the bathroom if you need to open the door. They are tricky. Good luck
Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 PM

I have found, after about 4 trips back and forth from Pa to the Villages, the less I fuss over my 2 cats the better. At first, I used to worry about them, but found out that putting them in the cage with their favorite bed and covering the cage with a blanket so they were warm (cats love to be warm) and they could not see what was going on around them. they would sleep the whole 7 to 9 hours (depending on how long we would drive), with little or no fuss. Gave them NO tranquilizers, No food, No water, No litter box. The first time we made the trip we lost much time offering them water, food and a litter box, neither of which they wanted any part of. Now instead of wasting 1/2 hr to 45 minutes offering these things, we just let them sleep and everyone is happy, them and us. When we get to the motel, they are happy to get out of the cage. After checking out their new motel room, they go to the litter box, eat their dinner and have plenty of water to drink. The only down side to this is...after sleeping all day, they tend to stay up and run around the motel room most of the night. My final thought is the less you fuss over them the better off they are. Just my opinion. Hopes this may help someone who is uncomfortable about traveling with cats.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.