All you can eat day for pets..

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Sage
Default All you can eat day for pets..

It's all you can eat day here for my boxer Emma and old man tux kitty Raul.
canned tuna, raw beef liver, raw eggs, cream, bread, mayo, cheese, whatever they want that isn't in a pet food container. Anybody else give your pet all you can eat day?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Platinum member

No way. There would be a terrible gastric upset. It wouldn't be pretty.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:21 PM

Oh no...I would be up all night walking him around the block if I did that. It would be a major pancreatitis flare up here.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Sage

I don't think you'd be doing the pets a favor. Barf. Ugh
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 06-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
It's all you can eat day here for my boxer Emma and old man tux kitty Raul.
canned tuna, raw beef liver, raw eggs, cream, bread, mayo, cheese, whatever they want that isn't in a pet food container. Anybody else give your pet all you can eat day?
My dogs get that every day mixed with good kibble. No gastric issues because they are used to the diet.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:56 PM

My two boy doggies, Monkey- a German Sheperd, and Augie- a black Lab, can't seem to handle smorgasbord style. We all pay for it in the. middle of the night. Augie, on the other hand, is a major mooch who sponges off everyone constantly in small doses. I know it's not good for his weight, but that little poker face has me wrapped around his little paw.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Sage

wowzer, that's a surprise. all the other pooches and kitties have sensitive digestion?? Guess mine are lucky that a day of fun eating is fun...
K.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

My dog Sport often needs to be persuaded to eat. He is one of the few dogs I have ever heard of who is more finicky than most kids when eating. No matter what it is, however, he will stop eating when full. Or others dogs would have eaten themselves to death given a chance.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Platinum member

Our two girls had never gotten into the bag of food, but always seem to be hungry. I said had because one day we were working out in the garage and when we came back in, someone had turned the bag of food over and there was food all over the kitchen floor and they were stuffed. They were alright, but looked like footballs until evrything worked its way through.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Eternal Member

Sorry, can't ever even imagine I would let my pets eat like that. I don't think anything good would come out of that for the babies.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
wowzer, that's a surprise. all the other pooches and kitties have sensitive digestion?? Guess mine are lucky that a day of fun eating is fun...
K.
We have 2 boxers and they will not eat their dry dog food unless they get table scraps added to their bowls. Never any problems with digestion.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

The only things that ever made our goldens throw up are critters from the woods and brillo pads.

We don't feed from the table (second one, due to first one becoming a shameless beggar), but I have put most of those items you mention in Crosby's bowl, because none of them is bad for him. Would add to that, fish and fish skin, esp. salmon.

Just not all at once!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Sage
Default Emma and Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Sorry, can't ever even imagine I would let my pets eat like that. I don't think anything good would come out of that for the babies.
Some posters seem ruffled up about all you can eat day...
So you know, my pets are very contented and happy with an occasional feast and they have enjoyed proteins, grains, b vitamins, fats, omegas...fresh real food. They don't vomit or have diarrhea.

I can't imagine anything more natural than a cat eating fish, or a dog relishing a bit of liver. Bagged and canned foods are convenient--that's all that's good about them IMO. I don't buy dog food without a main ingredient of meat and still feel skeptical what she's really eating, preserved to last XX years in a bag...?

Emma hates corn and when I met her at the humane society she was ribby and dull coated. They fed dry Pedigree=corn. I cooked for her every day for a couple of months, fresh meats and plenty of fat. She gained 15 pounds and has a very luxurious coat, as noted by wishful dog owners.

Both animals were seen in May by a new vet who proclaimed them in perfect health and weight. He remarked that the cat, Raul (he can say his name!) at 15 years was in better shape than his own.

It is easy to control what the pets eat, while we owners pick and choose and feast on whatever we want. Variety of diet allows the body to pick up nutrients in its magical way better than a single source diet.

I fell in love with Emma the first day I volunteered to walk dogs at the humane society. She had been abandoned 3X for being a bad dog. The photo is a few months after that when she (without training) passed her evaluations for AKC Canine Good Citizen and Certification from Therapy Dogs International. The evaluator said she was the best dog of the day--"perfect"...presenting, Emma Elizabeth Swann!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	emmawinsoptimized.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	15482  

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 06-13-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: photo added
Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The only things that ever made our goldens throw up are critters from the woods and brillo pads.

We don't feed from the table (second one, due to first one becoming a shameless beggar), but I have put most of those items you mention in Crosby's bowl, because none of them is bad for him. Would add to that, fish and fish skin, esp. salmon.

Just not all at once!
Cyndy, I don't feed at the table either...creates bad manners for dog and owner.
AUCE day coincides with trifexis day...I hate giving her poison like that, but have to protect her from worms and fleas..the extra food, esp egg and fats slow and coat digestion so she doesn't get a big dose of trifexis too quickly, or she WOULD throw up...
Kitty
Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpirate View Post
We have 2 boxers and they will not eat their dry dog food unless they get table scraps added to their bowls. Never any problems with digestion.
You have boxers! What adorable beasts they are! Emma only eats the dry food bc I mash wet food into it. She would get thin on dry food alone. This was also her day for trifexis, so loading her up with slow digesting food protected her digestion.
vive le boxer!
Kitty
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.