Feral cats

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Default Feral cats

As some of you may remember, a few months ago I started a thread about the feral cats in my neighborhood. I said I had been feeding them and hoped to trap, neuter and vacinnate them. Well, that has finally been done. They also were ear tipped to show that they have been neutered and vacinnated. I don't know if any of you are aware that Disney takes care of feral cats and uses them to control the rodent population. They have over 200 that they have trapped, neutered and vacinnated. They also feed them. I thought the attached image which I got from the site entitled "the Disney Cats" was worth sharing. Why can't we at the Villages do the same?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	51328  
Old 05-13-2015, 06:42 AM
Platinum member

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 05-13-2015, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Litter View Post
As some of you may remember, a few months ago I started a thread about the feral cats in my neighborhood. I said I had been feeding them and hoped to trap, neuter and vacinnate them. Well, that has finally been done. They also were ear tipped to show that they have been neutered and vacinnated. I don't know if any of you are aware that Disney takes care of feral cats and uses them to control the rodent population. They have over 200 that they have trapped, neutered and vacinnated. They also feed them. I thought the attached image which I got from the site entitled "the Disney Cats" was worth sharing. Why can't we at the Villages do the same?
We have saved a number of feral cats over the years and never met one that didn't become gentle and loving though some take longer than others.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

You're a good person with a huge heart.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Sage

Avatar is a pic of Feral Cat we named AM-PM, for when she came to the door for food, lived mainly in our fenced in back yard in SF Bay Area for over 10 years. She wouldn't let you touch her but was always friendly.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-13-2015, 04:56 PM

That is wonderful of you to do. I've done that here at my NY home. Made a huge difference in the neighborhood population. I'll be moving to The Villages soon and you can count me in to help!
Old 05-13-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri TVG View Post
That is wonderful of you to do. I've done that here at my NY home. Made a huge difference in the neighborhood population. I'll be moving to The Villages soon and you can count me in to help!
Thank you Terri. My hope is that many other villagers will do the same. Please PM me when you settle in the villages. You will love it here.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:44 PM

Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! Great to see so many here that care enough to take action. Currently Lake County is seriously considering a TNR program. It could make such a difference, for so many! Sumter needs the same. If you have the time, consider getting involved.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachdad View Post
Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! Great to see so many here that care enough to take action. Currently Lake County is seriously considering a TNR program. It could make such a difference, for so many! Sumter needs the same. If you have the time, consider getting involved.
Thank you Beachdad. When I return to the Villages in September, I would like to see if there is any interest from other villagers to help the many feral/stray cats living in the Villages. The Care Center in Lake Panasofkee charges $25 for a male cat and $30 for a female cat to neuter plus a small fee for a rabies shot. (That is about the cost of a lunch out.). Please consider helping a feral cat. You will not only make their life worth living but will stop the needless birth of litters of innocent kittens. My ferals are being fed in my absence by a wonderful neighbor with the food that I provided to her for the summer. I really miss seeing them eat every day knowing I have made their day a bit easier.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Litter View Post
Thank you Beachdad. When I return to the Villages in September, I would like to see if there is any interest from other villagers to help the many feral/stray cats living in the Villages. The Care Center in Lake Panasofkee charges $25 for a male cat and $30 for a female cat to neuter plus a small fee for a rabies shot. (That is about the cost of a lunch out.). Please consider helping a feral cat. You will not only make their life worth living but will stop the needless birth of litters of innocent kittens. My ferals are being fed in my absence by a wonderful neighbor with the food that I provided to her for the summer. I really miss seeing them eat every day knowing I have made their day a bit easier.
Thank you for telling me, Kitty Litter -- was unaware of the Sumter Program. With prices that low, why are people not getting their pets fixed? Why do they have to wait for 1-4 litters before they think about it (and then it is usually just Mama)? SMH.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:40 PM
Veteran member

Just curious, if the ferals are being fed, do they still help keep down rodent population?
Old 06-01-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianne237 View Post
Just curious, if the ferals are being fed, do they still help keep down rodent population?
As stated in my first post, Disney uses feral cats to control their rodent population and they also feed them. The ferals that I take care of are only fed once a day. We have never seen a rodent in our neighborhood and the snake population is less.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

About | The Cats of Disneyland

Thanks for bringing this subject up.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:05 PM

Did not know Disney has this program. I AGREE, the Villages has a RAT problem and trap neuter and release would be perfect. There a great number of "softies" here that would feed them everyday... wonder if Ms. Tutt knows about TNR?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:08 PM

Did not know about Care Center... by all means, in Septs. lets start a TNR group. I am in...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.