Heart worm testing

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Platinum member
Default Heart worm testing

I'm taking my pup in for all her shots tomorrow. She has always been on heartguard.....her entire life. Is there any reason that she has to have the blood work to check for heart worm if she has always been on the prevention? It seems like a senseless test since she's always been protected. Any info on this from the great dog owners here on TOTV?
Old 09-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

Our pups are on the medication year round too and also get the blood test yearly. When I questioned our vet, she said the medication is very effective, but nothing is 100%. Also, she said if a dosage was missed or not given properly, it opens the door to the dog getting the disease. If the dog does have heart worm and given the medication, it can be deadly for the dog. Finally, our vet says the instructions clearly state the heart worm medication can only be given to dogs that have been tested for heart worm. She isn't willing to risk her practice by not doing the test.

It is expensive to have dogs and this is one test I still wonder why has to be done because we follow the instructions. In our case, if we want the medication, the vet will only give it to us with a negative test.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Have you ever heard of a woman becoming pregnant on birth control? Well -- same difference! Nothing is 100%.

I wouldn't think of not having our dogs on a heartworm prevention medication and to be tested every year, just to be safe.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Have you ever heard of a woman becoming pregnant on birth control? Well -- same difference! Nothing is 100%.

I wouldn't think of not having our dogs on a heartworm prevention medication and to be tested every year, just to be safe.
Good explanation, Bonanza.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Platinum member

Thanks all. Answered my question.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.