Itching remedies for dog

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Default Itching remedies for dog

Our beagle mix has itching/allergy problems. We have tried different shampoos, sprays and now she is on Apoquel. The Apoquel seems to help but we don't like the long term side effects that are possible. Any suggestions?
Old 02-03-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset72 View Post
Our beagle mix has itching/allergy problems. We have tried different shampoos, sprays and now she is on Apoquel. The Apoquel seems to help but we don't like the long term side effects that are possible. Any suggestions?
Could it be the food she is eating? Our dog had the same problem, we switched her to a grain free food and she has been fine since.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset72 View Post
Apoquel is suppose to be the safer alternative to prednisone according to my vet and what I have read. We also use grain free food, add fish oil to the food and religiously treat the house and yard for flea prevention. A favorite quote of every vet I have ever used is "well it only takes one flea" to continue the scratching on the dog. Dust mites are also another problem. We use grain free sweet potato and fish for our two dogs and only one scratches lately.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Gold member

I have heard from a couple of different people that they they had the vet do allergy testing on their dogs. Well worth it. Then they knew exactly what the dog was allergic to. They had spent lots and lots of money trying different shampoos, foods, etc., without solving the problem. It may cost you several hundred dollars for the testing, but you would probably be spending that in buying and trying the various products and dog foods.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Gold member

I thought of doing the allergy testing but I didn't. Lexi only gets grain free now and I stopped giving her chicken. It worked for her! Also only use shampoo with oatmeal.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Online are recipes for dog food with skin issues in mind. In three weeks All three Bulls stopped itching, ear infections, and helped with digestive issues.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:07 AM

How long did it take for you to see good results? Immediately or a few weeks?

thank you
Old 02-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Gold member

In Lexi'x case, the itching slowed down in a couple of days but totally went away in a few weeks. Lexi gets Fromm's or Orijen grain free food. Orijen is pricey. I paid $27.99 for a 5# bag in The Villages! Lexi is very picky and her favorite is bison!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:47 PM

Had skin issues with my Cocker Spaniel and changed her food to grain free and gluten free and most of her issues went away. We also use a medicated shampoo from the vet to keep skin in check.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:50 PM
Veteran member

Have done a ton of research. You should read as much as you can to educate yourself about feeding your dogs a RAW DIET like they were intended to eat.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
I have heard from a couple of different people that they they had the vet do allergy testing on their dogs. Well worth it. Then they knew exactly what the dog was allergic to. They had spent lots and lots of money trying different shampoos, foods, etc., without solving the problem. It may cost you several hundred dollars for the testing, but you would probably be spending that in buying and trying the various products and dog foods.
We did that, over at AVS in Maitland. It cost $1K for the tests and vaccine, but I wish I had done it years ago. Virtually itch-free, hot spot-free long-haired dog who only occasionally needs an Apoquel. And I think that's when a flea gets on him and hasn't died yet.

The allergy testing showed him to be allergic mostly to weeds & grass & trees, as opposed to food. They make a vaccine out of 15 of the items that he tested the most sensitive to. We give him a shot a week and replenish the vaccine every six months. It's been heaven for him since we did this.

I didn't know goldens had allergy problems. Our Michigan vet kept telling me that our first was the only golden known to man who wasn't allergic to anything. Boy did I learn what she meant with this guy.

I think their web site is itchypetvet.com.
Closed Thread

Tags
apoquel, long, suggestions, term, side

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.