Large dogs running wild

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts
Default Large dogs running wild

We were walking around Osceola Hills this evening and some guy was letting his two large dogs run around wild. They came charging up to us and really scared us.

He would not give us his name but I saw where he lives so I will go up to CDD at Lake Sumter tomorrow morning and file a complaint. Is there anything else we can do to convince him to ALWAYS have his dogs on leashes when they are off his property?
Old 07-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

They're supposed to be on a lead even in their own yards unless fenced. Best to call animal control rather than CDD. CCD has no authority to handle this issue. The County does.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-24-2016, 09:23 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Maybe instead of reporting him, you could have made a suggestion and told him where the new dog park is and suggested since he has large dogs that need to run, that would be a great place for him to take them. It would have been a nice way of breaking into the leash law topic.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
CCD has no authority to handle this issue. The County does.
So is there anyone in The Villages management who has the authority to enforce the strict leash laws?
Old 07-25-2016, 03:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
So is there anyone in The Villages management who has the authority to enforce the strict leash laws?
Nope. The clue is the word "laws". If it is a law, it is up to the appropriate governmental agency to handle it, in this case animal control. Community Watch might have a talk with the dog owner, but is not required to do so.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-25-2016, 05:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Maybe instead of reporting him, you could have made a suggestion and told him where the new dog park is and suggested since he has large dogs that need to run, that would be a great place for him to take them. It would have been a nice way of breaking into the leash law topic.
Isn't that the way of life for most people, reporting someone to "the authority"? I'm surprised the OP didn't whip out the smart phone and start filming everything to be used in court. What happened to the old fashioned talking it out with someone you have a problem with?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Large dogs running wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Isn't that the way of life for most people, reporting someone to "the authority"? I'm surprised the OP didn't whip out the smart phone and start filming everything to be used in court. What happened to the old fashioned talking it out with someone you have a problem with?

These are the very same type of people that would "tell" on others as children. "Telling" was frowned upon then, encouraged today.

Last edited by RickeyD; 07-25-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
These are the very same type of people that would "tell" on others as children. "Telling" was frowned upon then, encouraged today.
If you see something say something. Check, good.

I love dogs but leash laws are in effect here and I think leash laws are good.

If I remember correctly about MY childhood, "telling" was only "frowned" on by bad kids and folks who ended up in prison complaining about snitches.

I loved being a "good girl". I was shocked later to find out that good girls didn't have any fun.

RickyD....if I see you out running around with your big dogs off leash, I'm tellin'.

P.S. Ditto that large Pikichu figure in your front yard that isn't under the eaves.............................................

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-25-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

why have any laws at all.......
Old 07-25-2016, 07:35 AM
Sage

Sounds like the OP did try to talk to the owner, at least enough to ask his name. There are times when talking to someone does work. I'm not convinced this would be one of them. There are very few towns today that don't have leash laws. The dogs' owner had to know he was in violation of those laws and didn't care.

I don't know if the dogs were running to say hello to the new people, just running and having fun or were trying to protect their owner. I do know it frightened the OP. I would guess that it will take an authority figure to convince this gentleman that his dogs need to be on a lead except at a dog park. Sometimes the only thing that works is threat of a fine or worse.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I agree. You know his address. He could just be your next life long friend if you give him a chance to apologize. If he doesn't then...you made the friendly gesture anyway and do what you then think best.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
It goes back further than that ..the Pharisees were always looking to find "others" faults, and explained it was trying to see if it was FAIR-U-SEE.

Everyone makes a slip now and then....first give them a chance...and down the road hopefully when you slip up by mistake, they will do likewise.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

It is because of the few who feel the leash laws do not apply to them that I always have a walking stick with me when I take our dog for her morning two mile walk every day.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

My hesitancy with calling the authority is fear of the dogs being removed from the house. That many times doesn't have a happy ending. It would be a different story if they put the owners in the pokey.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

The Villages does nothing about loose dogs. They will give you the number of Animal Control. In Marion county section anyway.

Tags
dogs, large, wild, complaint, cdd

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.