Pet Hospice In Some Parts

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Gold member
Default Pet Hospice In Some Parts

This was a new one for me....some parts of the country have pet hospice. There is a vet in the Orlando area, as well as several other cities in Florida and in other states. The services available for pet owners sure are a lot different then when we were young. Here is the website incase anyone wants to read about them:

Orlando Pet Hospice & Euthanasia
Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 PM

There is also a pet hospice and euthanasia practice in the Summerfield area. Rainbow Passages is a new practice for in-home hospice, euthanasia, and after death care. The phone number is (252) 404-1008 and they have a Facebook page which explains the services they provide.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I realize that this is something new, however, I would have to think long and hard about in-home euthanasia for my pet.

Sounds like a great money maker to me.
I'm really just not sure about it . . .
Old 09-20-2014, 10:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I realize that this is something new, however, I would have to think long and hard about in-home euthanasia for my pet.
Sounds like a great money maker to me.
I'm really just not sure about it . . .
I has my big dog Brutus euthanized at my home in The Villages by a Mobil Vet service in 2010.
I was able to lie on the floor and hold my 70 lb dog in my arms as he passed.
It didn't make it easier.
But I was able to collapse in tears and cry for two hours.
Not walk through a Vet's office and drive home.
Since then I've recommended the Vet service to others.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:14 AM
Platinum member

I've always thought that in home euthansia was less stressful on the animal.

When my pony was put down a few years back it was planned. All the barn kids knew and brought him treats in the days before and got to say goodbye. I cried all day, but knew it was time and it was handled with love and dignity.

I've sat with relatives in hospice care and wished we could do for them what we do for the animals. Denying them food and water seems to me a lot less humane than euthanasia.

I don't know, hospice for animals doesn't seem like an improvement.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
I've sat with relatives in hospice care and wished we could do for them what we do for the animals. Denying them food and water seems to me a lot less humane than euthanasia.
I'm totally with you on that one sister. If someone is terminally ill, why make them suffer?
Sadly, my mother died in a lot of pain from brain and bone cancer.
Whereas my animals have been euthanized after a terminal diagnosis before the suffering started.
Very sad situation.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Make that three and include me. Not being funny, I always thought that Dr. Kevorkian was an angel. How cruel it is that we make other humans suffer when it is unnecessary. I, too, wish my parents could have passed away peacefully, instead of suffering first.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:11 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

And another vote here. My father took three long, agonizing years to die from bladder cancer. He didn't pray to live, he prayed to die. Fortunately, my mother's heart gave out before her brain tumor caused her too much pain. Forcing people to live and suffer makes no sense!

And another one who would prefer to put my beloved pets down at home than in the vet's office.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Gold member

So glad to hear that others think like I do regarding euthanizing before the animal has to suffer. I felt like I was put down by some people because I had my dog euthanized and he wasn't "sick" (as in pain, on deaths door). Some people will go to extremes to keep their dog alive. And I believe each person should make their own decision and not put down someone who decides to euthanize early before the pet has to suffer needlessly. Our old dog had what we believe was doggie dementia, he was pretty much blind, got so he couldn't find his food in his dish even if he was right in front of it, got tangled up in the furniture all the time, went in circles almost non-stop except when asleep, got to popping all over the place, falling face first into his water dish, legs sliding out from under him, etc. What kind of life is that? A very hard decision because he was so special, but he had lived a good long life. His quality of life just wasn't there. And even though we didn't think he was feeling any pain, we knew it was time. Hard decision, but the best decision. Got to be there to help him pass over.

For anyone thinking about cremating your pets remains here is some thoughts on that. Our first dog down here the vet euthanized and sent away to the crematory. I never felt comfortable about that because you don't know if you are getting your dogs remains back or a mixture or someone else's or just a pile of ashes from a wood pile they burned. Have always felt bad about that. The second dog we took to Belleview where they euthanized our dog and they have a crematory. I was present and saw only my dog being placed in the oven and I was the one who pressed the button to start it. I don't recall how long, but a little later that same day (maybe an hour or two) we were able to pick up our dogs ashes. I felt so much better about knowing vs not knowing. So taking your dog yourself is an option if that is something you are interested in and Belleview is close by. The lady we dealt with was extremely nice.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
So glad to hear that others think like I do regarding euthanizing before the animal has to suffer.
I believe the kindest and best gift we can give our loyal pets is to euthanize them when it is their time.
And I think that owners know the time, in their hearts.
No-one wants a beloved pet to suffer, and animals can't tell you when they're in pain.
I think that most people who euthanize a pet "second guess" their decision .... I should have done it sooner, I should have waited longer ....
I believe an animal's spirit passes through the veil to the other side and waits for us there.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Platinum member

I think second guessing is normal, it seems that as soon as you make the decision they perk up a bit.

After it was over I have never heard anyone say they should have waited longer. Everyone I know has said they should have done it sooner.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I believe the kindest and best gift we can give our loyal pets is to euthanize them when it is their time.
And I think that owners know the time, in their hearts.
No-one wants a beloved pet to suffer, and animals can't tell you when they're in pain.
I think that most people who euthanize a pet "second guess" their decision .... I should have done it sooner, I should have waited longer ....
I believe an animal's spirit passes through the veil to the other side and waits for us there.
Barefoot,

Reading your post has just brought some needed comfort to me. We euthanized Ginger, our sweet Carin Terror yesterday. She was fourteen, blind and diabetic. Other complications with blood in her eyes brought us to this sad decision. All I could think of last night was, how much I wanted to change my mind and get her back. All this second guessing, is causing me so much pain and is testimony to how much we loved her.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Home Euthanasia For Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I has my big dog Brutus euthanized at my home in The Villages by a Mobil Vet service in 2010.
I was able to lie on the floor and hold my 70 lb dog in my arms as he passed.
It didn't make it easier.
But I was able to collapse in tears and cry for two hours.
Not walk through a Vet's office and drive home.
Since then I've recommended the Vet service to others.
I also had my 17 yr old Cocker put to eternal rest at home in The Villages.
In that I adopt older dogs (he was 11 when I adopted him), I have to go thru this more than the average dog owner.

I have done it both ways - in the vets office and in my home 3 times and it is much easier on the dog in their familiar surroundings. Also as Bare pointed out you can hold and hug your dog and cry and mourn in private. My neighbor Tainsley, went thru it with me as did my other dog. Soft music playing and fluffy bedding made it heavenly for my baby, Midnight. When you are ready, the vet (Dr. Angel Smith) takes your dog to the Belleview crematorium for you and then calls when ashes are ready, or you can scatter ashes in their garden I believe.

It is a personal decision, but one that has worked much better for me.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
Barefoot,

Reading your post has just brought some needed comfort to me. We euthanized Ginger, our sweet Carin Terror yesterday. She was fourteen, blind and diabetic. Other complications with blood in her eyes brought us to this sad decision. All I could think of last night was, how much I wanted to change my mind and get her back. All this second guessing, is causing me so much pain and is testimony to how much we loved her.
Deepest sympathies to you OCsun. You did the right thing for Ginger.
A dog deserves to have a courageous owner who will unselfishly release the pet from earthly troubles.
Although you will miss her desperately, please know that she is at peace now.
When I euthanize a dog, I usually have a little memorial spot with a picture of my departed baby, a collar, a candle, an angel, anything that I feel will comfort me.
It's just my way of showing respect and it helps me get through the grief.

My dog Biggins is now 14. He has cataracts, he is going deaf and he coughs a lot and licks the walls.
I'll be visiting the Vet when we get to The Villages in November to have some blood tests done.
I don't want to think about it, but I know his time with me is drawing to a close.
Although he stills runs to his toybox and grabs a toy and plays with it. I'm hoping he lives to be at least 17.
I hope I have the courage to do the right thing for him, he deserves it.
I am crying just thinking about it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.