Putting doggie door in screen

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2017, 03:01 PM
Default Putting doggie door in screen

I have a screen door on the lanai, and I want to put a doggie door on it for a medium sized dog. I found that Hale makes something that might work, but wondering if anyone out there has a doggie door on the lanai?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Give T&D a call and have them install a dog door. They will frame the door properly. If you just use one that just attaches to the screen it will not last if you have an active dog. We had T&D install ours 3 years ago before we even moved in, we have two very large and active golden retrievers and it's still holding up quite well.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

If the screen door goes to the outside, I would strongly recommend against this as some of our wild life could then get INTO the lanai and your house. If you are really set on this an it does go to the outside, there are some units that only open for your pet by using an RFID tag on the pet which allows the door to open for the pet to pass.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:32 PM

Thanks all. I did find someone to install one tomorrow. Sounds like he is going to change the existing lanai screen to get it to fit and be strong. Hopefully it will work.

There is a fence on the property, so that might help some bigger wildlife stay away (hopefully). Don't plan on leaving the inside door always open, but trying to save having to open both the inside, then lanai door. Hopefully it is strong enough to keep the snakes out.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Live in CYV and brought one of these sliding door panels for our Annie, easy to install. works great, has the plastic insert when you don't want it left open.

Fast Fit Pet Patio Door 80" - Small (White)
Old 04-05-2017, 10:36 AM

I don't have one on my lanai, but can vouch for a Hale doggie door. We had one installed in our Las Vegas home and have been very happy with it. Some dogs don't like the double flap, but it does a good job of protecting from weather elements. Good luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
door, doggie, lanai, screen, work

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.