Dog Beach

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default Dog Beach

I have tried searching the pet forum for locations of dog beaches (I know they won't be that close), but I got all kinds of responses that didn't fit the bill.

Does anyone know of any dog beaches within a two-hour drive? As in off-the-leash, let-them-swim beaches?

Venice Beach has a great one, but it's a little far for a day trip.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James
Default Davis Island

There is a dog park on Davis Island in Tampa. About an hour and a half drive. Google Davis Island Dog Park. I've been there but wasn't so impressed that I would drive that far to get there. There are also one's listed on google ... Ft. De Soto Paw Playground and Beach and Sand Key Dog Park in Clearwater, FL. They would be about 2 hours from The Villages.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:31 AM
Gold member

Theres always a hose and the driveway for a cool down........................
Old 09-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Phanatic, thanks for the assessment. I've seen the google list. I was hoping for a personal assessment so we wouldn't go to great lengths only to find it unacceptable.

Paulandjean, dog loves to swim. It's good exercise for him. A hose he's not so fond of!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

hope this helps!!
Top 10 Dog Beaches in Florida
Old 09-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Sage

My Aussie loves to swim as well - wish there was a local swimming hole they could go to.
Maybe we could clear one of retention ponds of gators and make it a doggie swimming hole? Wonder if there is anywhere around Lake Miona that might be suitable?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Eternal Member

Smyrna Dunes Park at New Smyrna Beach. I think there is a charge to use the park ($3.50) but you can walk along the intercoastal waterway to the Ponce Inlet and fido can hit the water all along the way to the sea wall. Dogs are not allowed south of the seawall. Last time I was in that area there were 2 goldens that were having the time of their life playing in the surf.

VG
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James
Default I agree

I would love to see some sort of swimming area in TV's for dogs.
I wonder if there are any dog parks slated for south of 466A. Maybe they could incorporate a swimming hole with of course a fence to keep out the gators.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I have tried searching the pet forum for locations of dog beaches (I know they won't be that close), but I got all kinds of responses that didn't fit the bill.

Does anyone know of any dog beaches within a two-hour drive? As in off-the-leash, let-them-swim beaches?

Venice Beach has a great one, but it's a little far for a day trip.
SHARKS !
Old 09-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I would love to see some sort of swimming area in TV's for dogs.
I wonder if there are any dog parks slated for south of 466A. Maybe they could incorporate a swimming hole with of course a fence to keep out the gators.
OH Boy,
Old 09-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Sage

Yes it would be terrific if there was another dog park with or without the swimming option south of 466A. Trucking up to the northern areas gets old fast. And with such a concern about the bodily functions that may occur on walks, it would be nice to have an option to go to a designated area where the dogs could get their exercise and neighbors won't be uncomfortable about their lawns.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
Yes it would be terrific if there was another dog park with or without the swimming option south of 466A. Trucking up to the northern areas gets old fast. And with such a concern about the bodily functions that may occur on walks, it would be nice to have an option to go to a designated area where the dogs could get their exercise and neighbors won't be uncomfortable about their lawns.
Good point, but the dog haters won't want their money spent on a dogpark eventhough it is a logical solution to the question of where to exercise your dog! And yes I know there are a few, but the one south of 466 is almost a joke. They need a good area to run and fetch balls, not just lay around in the dirt.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Sage

just sayin it would solve a myriad I'd useless poop/pee/bark threads.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Gold member

Maybe a cat park also.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Sage

Hmmmn. Do they have a cat park in TV? I was only familiar with the dog park. I don't really know that much about cats but, unless they are feral, I don't think they like to go to parks to mingle and they have far less need for the exercise as dogs do.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.