PDA

View Full Version : Will a golf cart fit in a 2 car garage with 2 cars?

88 Keys
05-11-2015, 10:10 AM
I've been visiting The Villages ever since my parents made the move 18 years ago and my wife and I have finally decided to get away from the unbearable winters of Ohio and make the move ourselves. We're currently shopping homes in our price range and while we'd love to have one with a golf cart garage it's a little out of reach. Since we're going to need two cars I'm wondering if anyone here parks their cars and a cart in a two car garage by parking the cart sideways behind or in front of the cars. We have an Audi A4 and a Chevy HHR so both are relatively short. Thanks for your input.

Villager Joyce
05-11-2015, 10:27 AM
I would give up a lot if things before I would give up my golf cart garage. One solution might be to buy a house without a golf cart garage but positioned on the lot where you could put adding one on your to do list. The home expansions I have seen are incredible. My husband reminded me that our neighbors have an expanded 2-car which could be doable. As to fitting in the garage, I can't imagine unless the cars were a Smart Car and a Fiat 500.

dewilson58
05-11-2015, 10:35 AM
You could look at the floor plans of the model homes on TV website......they have the dimensions of the garages.

kcrazorbackfan
05-11-2015, 10:43 AM
It would be tight unless you have two real small cars; don't count on having any additional storage space in the garage.

Sable99
05-11-2015, 10:51 AM
i don't have a clue on a 2 car garage. Mom and I own a home with a 2 car plus golf cart garage. Unfortuntely we rent our home as an annual rental. So, we have to rent for the few weeks a year we visit TV! We usually rent a villa with a 1 1/2 car garage. Its a nightmare trying to get my Flex in the garage with a golf cart. I mean inches to spare. It must be a pretty picture with my 91 year old mother and 87 year old aunt directing me on what to do!

Also, if you look at the floor plans you can see that some models have different size garages. I noticed that in the Courtyard Villas that the Arlington's garage is a lot bigger than the garage in the Charlotte -- and they are both considered 1 1/2 car garages.

I have seen two cars and 2 golf carts in a 2 car garage plus golf cart garage but never two cars and a golf cart in a 2 car garage.

I agree with Villager Joyce about the golf cart garage. You might also look for a home that has an extended garage.

One day Mom was waiting for me in the Flex in a Publix parking lot. Some guy started yelling at her that our vehicle was too big. I'd like to see him traveling from Michigan with luggage for 3 women and two walkers!

vlm790
05-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Had a 2 car extended without a golf cart and fit 2 Honda accords and a golf cart

88 Keys
05-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Villager Joyce - that's actually something I've been looking at. There are several homes listed that I would have that option with.

Vim790 - our two cars actually are the same length as accords. Combined length with the cart would be 19 ' so an extended garage of 21 feet would work until I can add something.

Thanks

baustgen
05-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Bite the bullet and drop one of the cars. We did it. With a golf cart you really do not need two cars. Twice a year it is a problem. If your ego forces you to have two cars, buy a house with a golf cart garage. A golf cart and two cars will not fit in a two car garage. You also will need storage space in the garage. No basement and a very small attic storage space.

Villager Joyce
05-11-2015, 11:41 AM
We needed two cars when we moved here because we had those 4 letter words--jobs!

Ecuadog
05-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Leave one of the cars in the driveway.

dotti105
05-11-2015, 11:53 AM
While we do have a golf car garage, we have several neighbors who have 2car garages and fit their golf cart in easily. One is an Aspen. Not sure about the others or if they had stretches built.
Measure. Measure. Measure!!!

88 Keys
05-11-2015, 11:55 AM
There's no bullet to bite. We have no choice but keep two cars.....my wife is a flight attendant and I'm a musician. She retires in 3 years so until then we have no choice.

Sandtrap328
05-11-2015, 01:14 PM
I've been visiting The Villages ever since my parents made the move 18 years ago and my wife and I have finally decided to get away from the unbearable winters of Ohio and make the move ourselves. We're currently shopping homes in our price range and while we'd love to have one with a golf cart garage it's a little out of reach. Since we're going to need two cars I'm wondering if anyone here parks their cars and a cart in a two car garage by parking the cart sideways behind or in front of the cars. We have an Audi A4 and a Chevy HHR so both are relatively short. Thanks for your input.

I have friends who have a Kia Sportage and a Toyota Rav4. They keep both cars plus their golf cart in their two car garage by parking the cart sideways in front of the cars. It is a bit more work and they really wish they had held out for the golf cart garage.

I would say to go the extra bit and get the house with the golf cart garage OR make do easily with one car

patfla06
05-11-2015, 01:21 PM
We have a 2 car garage that was extended 4 feet to the side, called an
Oversized or extended garage.
We have 2 midsize SUV's and our golf cart side-by-side.

We have a beautiful water view and were willing to compromise
on no golf cart garage.

Eventually we will get rid of one SUV and get a small car and it will
be even easier.

Doro22
05-11-2015, 01:34 PM

We have an extended 2 car garage and two vehicles & two golf carts. We keep the Toyota Camry that I drive outside in the driveway. The Mid size SUV & both golf carts stay are in the garage. We also have an extra fridge in the garage. We still have to shuffle vehicles around. Thinking about downsizing by selling one golf cart. 😎

SIRE1
05-11-2015, 01:39 PM
One of the homes on our street parks 2 cars and a golf cart in their 2 car garage. The golf cart is parked sideways near the garage door. I'm sure it takes a little bit of manuvering but he's obviously got it down to a routine. The car in front of the golf cart is a Corvette and doesn't get used everyday so he doesn't have to frequently move the cart to get that car out of the garage very often. So it definitely can be done.

JoMar
05-11-2015, 01:57 PM
The average time people move within TV is 3 and everyone asks why......fitting two cars and two carts in a 2 car garage is on the list. No basement, PITA attic = storage in the garage and the house becomes too small very quickly. Choose wisely and understand the monthly mortgage difference by stepping up a notch to insure you make the decision for the right reasons. You might be surprised how little that extra garage space really costs.

twoplanekid
05-11-2015, 02:10 PM
I tried to put my four passenger Parcar golf cart in my brother’s begonia golf cart garage. It was too long to fit in this space. However, sometimes where there is the will, there is the way.

JoMar
05-11-2015, 03:44 PM
I tried to put my four passenger Parcar golf cart in my brother’s begonia golf cart garage. It was too long to fit in this space. However, sometimes where there is the will, there is the way.

Is that a Cub parked in the back?

dbussone
05-11-2015, 03:56 PM

That's a bit too big for the golf car garage I think. Nice plane!

twoplanekid
05-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Is that a Cub parked in the back?

Yes, that's my 1946 J-3 Cub in the back. I sold my 76 Cessna 210 in front a few years ago to have money to spend for my wife down in The Villages. It would take me about 15 minutes to get the Cub positioned behind the Cessna. Paid for one hanger to store two aircraft! What a deal.

newguyintv
05-11-2015, 04:20 PM

I have neighbors who seem to make it work but looks to me to be a pain in the ass always moving one vehicle of another

jnieman
05-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Bite the bullet and drop one of the cars. We did it. With a golf cart you really do not need two cars. Twice a year it is a problem. If your ego forces you to have two cars, buy a house with a golf cart garage. A golf cart and two cars will not fit in a two car garage. You also will need storage space in the garage. No basement and a very small attic storage space.

You are totally right. You couldn't even walk around in a regular garage with two cars and a golf cart in it. If I had it to do over I would definitely bite the bullet and get a golf cart garage. It is our one big regret. You could always keep one car in the driveway as our neighbors down the street do.

DougB
05-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Believe there is a reason it is called a two car garage.

queasy27
05-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Welcome, 88 Keys! How nice that you'll be able to live hear your parents.

This may be heresy, but ... if you and your wife will both be working for a couple more years, remember it is permissible to live here without a golf cart. ;)

Villager Joyce
05-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Welcome, 88 Keys! How nice that you'll be able to live hear your parents.

This may be heresy, but ... if you and your wife will both be working for a couple more years, remember it is permissible to live here without a golf cart. ;)

You are correct. It is heresy. It is permissible, but it is certainly more fun running errands, going to dinner or the squares in a golf cart.

saratogaman
05-11-2015, 05:55 PM
We have done that for a couple of years in an Amarillo. Cart in front of the cars and put sideways.
Cars: VW Beetle & Kia Sorento. Still have room for a regrig and two storage cabinets.

Chazz
05-11-2015, 06:46 PM
I have a Lantana with a 2 car garage. I used to have a Yamaha golf cart and two cars, with no problem at all. One car is a Chrysler mini-van and the other is a Smartcar. I parked the golf cart and the Smartcar in one of the two spaces. I still had plenty of storage room.

88 Keys
05-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Thank you for the replies. I really wanted to know if It was possible. As I said in my original post, two cars are a necessity for a few years. My wife travels 4 days a week so I can just park one car outside for a few days if it's not doable.

We downsized from a 3200 sq foot home to a 1400 sq foot condo a few years ago so we've adjusted to not having anything in our garage other than the 2 cars so garage storage is not a necessity. It's amazing how much stuff you can accumulate that you can do without!

No golf cart in The Villages? Isn't that sacrilegious?

JoMar
05-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Yes, that's my 1946 J-3 Cub in the back. I sold my 76 Cessna 210 in front a few years ago to have money to spend for my wife down in The Villages. It would take me about 15 minutes to get the Cub positioned behind the Cessna. Paid for one hanger to store two aircraft! What a deal.

Now you have room for a pilot man cave.

otherbruddaDarrell
05-11-2015, 10:12 PM
We also have a 2 car garage. HHR and Caddy srx. The cars are worth more then the cart.....park the cart outside, it will not rust.

sralph99
05-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Honda Civic and a Chevy Malibu and a golf cart have all fit nicely in my garage for 16 years.

dirtbanker
05-12-2015, 06:09 AM

If it did fit, it would be a pain in the ass moving the cart when you want to get the car out or when you wanted to put the car away. Sell one of the cars, buy a place with a additional garage space for the cart...or buy in the historic district where they park cars and store piles of stuff in their yard.

Ideally we would have a minimum 3 car garage on a 2 bedroom house, and 4 car on a 3 bedroom. There is little storage space here as compared to Ohio where you had a basement. I know, we should downsize in retirement...

88 Keys
05-12-2015, 08:10 AM
We have a 2 car garage that was extended 4 feet to the side, called an
Oversized or extended garage.
We have 2 midsize SUV's and our golf cart side-by-side.

We have a beautiful water view and were willing to compromise
on no golf cart garage.

Eventually we will get rid of one SUV and get a small car and it will
be even easier.

Thank you for your replies. This is probably the post that sums up what we're looking for. IMHO not having a neighbor behind me so close I can touch their lanai trumps a golf cart garage and staying within our price range will not get us everything on our wish list.

Selling one of the cars is not an option until my wife retires since her car will sit at the Orlando airport four days a week and I doubt that driving a golf cart to gigs around central Florida is an option either. 😀

We down sized three years ago from a 3200 sq foot home to a 1400 sq foot condo with no basement so we don't have anything that won't transfer easily to a home there and I don't use my garage for anything but the cars here.

I see some people are making it work so I got my answer.

Thanks again for helping a future newbie out.