golf cart insurance will not cover your renters

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmiller888 View Post
If your golf cart insurance is with State Farm, the Villages, or Progressive, your renter will not be covered. Progressive said that the change was effective May 1 2014. I called Thomas Insur. today and was told the renters are covered. Then I called Progressive and found out the truth. I will call allState tomorrow to see if they cover renters. Does anybody know of any insur. company will cover your renters under your golf cart insurance?

8/5/14 I called allState and it does not cover renters either. I talked to Todd Brown 352 399 7667 and confirmed that there is NONE out there to cover your renters. You need to see it in writing if your agent tells you that your renters are covered. There were 3 agents verbally told me the renters are covered till I asked for the writing.

Also, your umbrella insurance will not kick in if the golf cart injury claim is denied by your golf cart policy.
The Kevin McDonald agency (Allstate) will cover renters in your golf cart. However, you can not advertise the cart as coming with the rental nor can it be pictured in front of the house. If so, and the adjuster or underwriter learns of it, the policy is null and void. I write, "call for information on all amenities".
Old 08-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
The Kevin McDonald agency (Allstate) will cover renters in your golf cart. However, you can not advertise the cart as coming with the rental nor can it be pictured in front of the house. If so, and the adjuster or underwriter learns of it, the policy is null and void. I write, "call for information on all amenities".
Total nonsense. Agent making up his own rules. As OP stated in first post, ask for this in writing. Agent doesn't handle claims, adjusters do and they'll figure this out pretty quickly and you'll be out of luck.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Cuma View Post
Nope. Anyone renting a house with a golf cart is rolling the dice.

Ditto
Old 08-29-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
That is all well and good if it makes you feel better but the facts are these.

Lawyers always pursue those with the deepest pockets aka assets, the renter more than likely lives out of state or is a foreigner, the renter may have all their assets in a trust, the renter may not have any assets, the renter may be difficult to find, the renter really has no dog in this fight, he is just a renter. The insurance companies will look for any loophole so as not to accept financial responsibility. What is left is you the owner, a sitting duck for any blood sucking lawyer who will make your life a living hell and cause you many sleepless nights and maybe loss of everything you have worked for.

Reality check folks...
Old 08-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Platinum member

Lower the rental cost a bit, bag the cart. A nice touch might be to compile a listing of cart rental companies for your tenants' use.

Why live with the uncertanties of what happens in the event of accident? Who needs the stress?

Rentals are in demand. It will rent without the cart. All MHO.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Sage

When I bought my used golf cart i did not get a title just a receipt, with not even a vin. Say you rent your house for a few months, can the tenant buy the golf cart and the landlord buys it back after the rental is over?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Total nonsense. Agent making up his own rules. As OP stated in first post, ask for this in writing. Agent doesn't handle claims, adjusters do and they'll figure this out pretty quickly and you'll be out of luck.

I have it in writing.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 PM

We did that a couple of times but realized that we were still taking a big risk. A lawyer could say that we were just trying to avoid liability and in truth, owned the cart. So we now rent our home without the use of our cart. It's just not worth the risk of losing our life savings.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneiben View Post
Lower the rental cost a bit, bag the cart. A nice touch might be to compile a listing of cart rental companies for your tenants' use.

Why live with the uncertanties of what happens in the event of accident? Who needs the stress?

Rentals are in demand. It will rent without the cart. All MHO.
My brother-in-law bought a CYV last year and had absolutely no problem renting it out from Thanksgiving 2013 thru mid-May 2014 at top dollar without a golf cart. Some potential renters declined because a golf cart was not included but he had no problem filling those months.

Why have your fanny exposed to a potential lawsuit from a golf cart accident with injuries and loose everything you worked 40-50 years to accumulate in a blink of an eye.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Veteran member

Exactly what Big Guy said. Written in their policies.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:29 AM

My homeowners insurance only covers the golf cart to and from the golf course. I don't golf. Something to check with your agent.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:00 PM
Default Not just renters

Quote:
That is all well and good if it makes you feel better but the facts are these.
Lawyers always pursue those with the deepest pockets aka assets, the renter more than likely lives out of state or is a foreigner, the renter may have all their assets in a trust, the renter may not have any assets, the renter may be difficult to find, the renter really has no dog in this fight, he is just a renter. The insurance companies will look for any loophole so as not to accept financial responsibility. What is left is you the owner, a sitting duck for any blood sucking lawyer who will make your life a living hell and cause you many sleepless nights and maybe loss of everything you have worked for.
Fl courts hv ruled golf carts a dangerous item. The golf cart owner is liable for anyone driving the cart if he gave permission to use it. So that includes neighbors and friends
Old 08-31-2014, 04:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
Fl courts hv ruled golf carts a dangerous item. The golf cart owner is liable for anyone driving the cart if he gave permission to use it. So that includes neighbors and friends
Yes! And this liability would include tenants' children and grandchildren the tenants allow to drive the rental golf cart (insanity).
Old 08-31-2014, 06:34 PM
Veteran member

Exactly why one should also have an umbrella policy.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:37 PM
Veteran member

Or, have the driver added to the Declaration page of the insurance policy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.