golf cart insurance will not cover your renters

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Default golf cart insurance will not cover your renters

If your golf cart insurance is with State Farm, the Villages, or Progressive, your renter will not be covered. Progressive said that the change was effective May 1 2014. I called Thomas Insur. today and was told the renters are covered. Then I called Progressive and found out the truth. I will call allState tomorrow to see if they cover renters. Does anybody know of any insur. company will cover your renters under your golf cart insurance?

8/5/14 I called allState and it does not cover renters either. I talked to Todd Brown 352 399 7667 and confirmed that there is NONE out there to cover your renters. You need to see it in writing if your agent tells you that your renters are covered. There were 3 agents verbally told me the renters are covered till I asked for the writing.

Also, your umbrella insurance will not kick in if the golf cart injury claim is denied by your golf cart policy.

Last edited by jasonmiller888; 08-05-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmiller888 View Post
If your golf cart insurance is with State Farm, the Villages, or Progressive, your renter will not be covered. Progressive said that the change was effective May 1 2014. I called Thomas Insur. today and was told the renters are covered. Then I called Progressive and found out the truth. I will call allState tomorrow to see if they cover renters. Does anybody know of any insur. company will cover your renters under your golf cart insurance?
---

Last edited by Barefoot; 08-05-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:05 AM

Nope. Anyone renting a house with a golf cart is rolling the dice.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:01 AM
Platinum member

I wonder if the renters would share in liability if involved in an accident?
Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneiben View Post
I wonder if the renters would share in liability if involved in an accident?
Not unless you take them to court and that will take a toll on your health. I agree with the poster above, you might as well roll the dice and keep your fingers crossed.

This society has become very sue happy and do not take responsibility for their actions. In a blink of an eye, you can expose yourself and lose everything you worked hard for your hole life because of the mistake of another person.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 AM
Platinum member

I wasn't too clear. I'm thinking that if the tenant is involved in an accident, the other party could likely sue both the cart owner AND the cart driver (the tenant). It's a slippery slope.

if we ever decide to rent our house, it will be without a cart. Who needs this headache?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Cuma View Post
Nope. Anyone renting a house with a golf cart is rolling the dice.
That is correct if the owner of the property does not have the renter added to the golf cart insurance policy during the tenancy period. The renters driving record is checked before being added to the policy. This is done by the insurance company.

We also have the renter sign a paper stating if an accident occurs, when being covered under the policy, the renter is responsible for any out of pocket expenses we as owners may have. This includes, but not limited to, deductible and increase of policy cost due to the accident.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXNana View Post
That is correct if the owner of the property does not have the renter added to the golf cart insurance policy during the tenancy period. The renters driving record is checked before being added to the policy. This is done by the insurance company.

We also have the renter sign a paper stating if an accident occurs, when being covered under the policy, the renter is responsible for any out of pocket expenses we as owners may have. This includes, but not limited to, deductible and increase of policy cost due to the accident.

The intent is good, but you may have difficulty enforcing such a document.

Out of pocket expenses are one thing. Much worse, though, is if there are injuries or fatalities. Cart owner could be held liable to all parties. Wouldn't be worth the sleepless nights to me.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 AM

I specifically exclude the cart from the rental to minimize any risk. I disable the cart, cover it and place a sign noting "for owners use only" while the risk may be low just one issue I rather not deal with.

I'm sure I may lose a few rentals here and there but I'm not rented it to get rich.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:26 PM

Most home owners renting the golf cart with the house are not aware their policy does not cover renters. One agent said they will check renter's license and just add to our policy. This is NOT true. The renters are not covered because it is a commercial transaction. Ask your agent in writing to say that your renters are covered. Please let us know if you know of any agent can provide the policy to cover your renters.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Sage

We rented our home in March 2014 and our renters were added to our policy. Yes, I saw it in writing. Our insurance was with Progressive and we dealt with Thomas Insurance Agency. Don't know if there is any truth the policy was changed by Progressive May 1.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Most home owners renting the golf cart with the house are not aware their policy does not cover renters. One agent said they will check renter's license and just add to our policy. This is NOT true. The renters are not covered because it is a commercial transaction. Ask your agent in writing to say that your renters are covered. Please let us know if you know of any agent can provide the policy to cover your renters.
They are aware. This has been an on going debate for years
Old 08-06-2014, 04:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
We were told by our Insurance Agent, we could not advertise the house as having a cart and charge for the use of the cart. If we charge for the renter to use the cart, it becomes a commercial vehicle. If the cart is part of the rental fee, the renter is added to the Declaration page of the policy, and is classified personal use.

Rentals appear to be better if a golf cart is provided for the guests use. The cost for an Attorney is reasonable to draw up a contract for the renter to sign they are liable for out of pocket expenses. The additional rental income will exceed the cost of the document fee.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXNana View Post

That is all well and good if it makes you feel better but the facts are these.
Lawyers always pursue those with the deepest pockets aka assets, the renter more than likely lives out of state or is a foreigner, the renter may have all their assets in a trust, the renter may not have any assets, the renter may be difficult to find, the renter really has no dog in this fight, he is just a renter. The insurance companies will look for any loophole so as not to accept financial responsibility. What is left is you the owner, a sitting duck for any blood sucking lawyer who will make your life a living hell and cause you many sleepless nights and maybe loss of everything you have worked for.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Cuma View Post
That is all well and good if it makes you feel better but the facts are these.
Lawyers always pursue those with the deepest pockets aka assets, the renter more than likely lives out of state or is a foreigner, the renter may have all their assets in a trust, the renter may not have any assets, the renter may be difficult to find, the renter really has no dog in this fight, he is just a renter. The insurance companies will look for any loophole so as not to accept financial responsibility. What is left is you the owner, a sitting duck for any blood sucking lawyer who will make your life a living hell and cause you many sleepless nights and maybe loss of everything you have worked for.

Agree, I attended a legal seminar which pretty much confirms what you have to say. Scary but true.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.