golf cart insurance will not cover your renters

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
Exactly why one should also have an umbrella policy.

If the underlying policy denies the claim, the umbrella won't cover. This is not a solution.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Has anyone personally had a renter have an accident and the claim not paid when the renter had been added to a policy of the owner of the cart and the renter listed on the Declaration Page of the policy? This is first hand knowledge and not an interpretation of something read on the Internet or heard from someone's neighbor, related to your mother's, sister's, boss.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 AM

Do Not Expose Yourself to this type of Liability Issue!!! No Company will cover this!! Signing a Transfer of Liability Document is Useless!! The Company Is not running a Drivers License check on your Tenants since they don't provide coverage. The Agent or Agency might do it in an attempt to give you a piece of mind, but again it's useless!! If you feel so compelled to include a cart in your Rental agreement, take $200 a Month off the Rent and they can go Rent their own. Very Simple... Problem Solved. This is what I do & I'm an Insurance Agent in NY with a Village Home in Fernandina.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Veteran member

This issue has been beaten to death on TOTV over the years. It's not the intent of any insurance company to cover insured vehicles that are rented to others. My golf cart policy simply states "There is no coverage (liability section)when any vehicle insured under this section is rented to others or used to carry persons for a charge." This applies to cars, trucks, golf carts, snowmobiles, or whatever kind of motor vehicle you happen to insure. It's fairly standard rental exclusion language.

If the use of you cart is subject to the rental of your villages rental property, the insurance carrier is going to use that exclusion to disclaim coverage.

Rather than ask who has had a claim when a renter is added to the declarations as an insured, ask who ever got a renter added to the policy as an insured. It's absurd to think that an insurance company, that doesn't want to insure renters of insured vehicles, and has written their policy accordingly, will over ride their exclusionary language by merely allowing any insured to simply add the renter names on the dec page. Dear Allstate, add Joe Blow, my renter, to my policy so he can be insured on my golf cart. That's not going to happen and if some agent plays some game by stating it's a relative or resident of your household, in order to get them on the dec page as an insured, it's going to bite you sooner or later.

I still love the agent who states the golf cart can't be in a picture in front of your house. I guess the claim department scours the old adds etc looking for pictures of golf carts in front of rental properties, aha, there it is no coverage! LOL

Knowledgable and ethical agents tell you straight there isn't coverage, the rest are playing games and hoping nothing happens. But that's why they have E&O (errors and omissions) insurance.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Veteran member

Every time we have someone renting our house, I provide to our insurance company the renters name, drivers license number, state where issued, date of birth, date of tenancy of the property, and any moving violations the last 5 years. Within 3 days a new declaration page arrives in our email with the renters names and it covers the dates they will be in the house.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXNana View Post
Every time we have someone renting our house, I provide to our insurance company the renters name, drivers license number, state where issued, date of birth, date of tenancy of the property, and any moving violations the last 5 years. Within 3 days a new declaration page arrives in our email with the renters names and it covers the dates they will be in the house.

Glad you're confident you're protected. Do you think you're protected when the tenant allows someone else, say his 14-year-old grandchild, to drive the cart?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneiben View Post
Glad you're confident you're protected. Do you think you're protected when the tenant allows someone else, say his 14-year-old grandchild, to drive the cart?
I am assuming that you have first hand knowledge of insurance not covering a golf cart for a renters use. You and the other posters speak so authoritatively.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
I am assuming that you have first hand knowledge of insurance not covering a golf cart for a renters use. You and the other posters speak so authoritatively.

So let us know what you know and how ? Please speak from a position of authority.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
I am assuming that you have first hand knowledge of insurance not covering a golf cart for a renters use.
Do you have first-hand knowledge of insurance covering a golf cart when driven by a renter who has an accident?
I don't mean that question sarcastically .. I'm sure many people would be interested in receiving this information.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.