Would this hold true in The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Default Would this hold true in The Villages?

New owner doesn
Old 09-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate View Post
The referenced article is about condominiums.
Villages houses aren't condos.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

According to the article, when a sale takes place because of a legal action the community rules do not have to be followed. As it also states 20% of the homes do not have to have an occupant over the age of 55. I don't believe that our rules stipulate who may own a home here, only who can occupy it.

I believe that anyone in The Villages can sell their home to whoever they want as long as we are still under the 20% cap. There are many homes here that are occupied by people under age 55. In fact, if you do the math you'll find that only about 20% of the residents here would need to be over 55.

To make things simple, I'll round off the numbers. Assuming that there are 60,000 homes, we could have an average of four people living in each home for a total of 240,000 residents. Only 80% of those homes would have to have ONE PERSON over the age of 55 for the community to fall under the guidelines. All the rest, including spouses, adult children and whoever could be under 55 and we'd still qualify under the guidelines. That would be 48,000 residents out of 240,000 or 20%. These are rough figures so please don't nit pick them. Just think of it this way. If you are over 55 and your spouse is under 55, you could live here with your two adult children. That would be one in four in your house. And yes, the scenario is highly unlikely. It just represents the extreme case.

Now, the problem I see in the story linked to the OP is that these people had children under the age of 19. The article doesn't mention whether the condo association has any rules about minor children living with parents. I'm not sure how that might work here in The Villages. It could be that the couple may be told that the children are not allowed to live there.

Other questions arise as well. Can I rent my house out to an under 55 couple if we are at or over the 20%? Does anyone know the exact wording of this law?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
With all due respect, I don't think that's relevant. The article is about age restricted communities. And I do believe that we might have some condos in The Villages. I think that they're called Sonoma Vista just behind Spanish Springs Town Square.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:29 AM
TOTV Moderator

We generally delete threads that start with just a link and no member question, analysis, or point for discussion in the original post.

However, this has already generated some replies that seem to address the topic of an over 55 community selling to a younger couple with minor children.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Gold member

Seriously, do you think the realtors and closing law firms check to see what the ratio of over 55s to under 55s is before finalizing a sale? If there is such a data base, I wonder what the current ratio is.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
With all due respect, I don't think that's relevant. The article is about age restricted communities. And I do believe that we might have some condos in The Villages. I think that they're called Sonoma Vista just behind Spanish Springs Town Square.
You are correct about Sonoma Vista. The townhouses next to Glenview are also condos.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I understand TV are not condos, but it is a 55 and over community as has been noted. Have a good day.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate View Post
I understand TV are not condos, but it is a 55 and over community as has been noted. Have a good day.
I thought the conditions imposed by a Condominium Board were a different kettle of fish than the Villages Restrictions Agreement
that we sign when we buy a detached home.
And now I know that there are apparently are some condominium in The Villages of which I was unaware.
I spoke too soon without adequate information. Me bad. Sorry.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Q: I live in a 55-and-over condominium. A neighboring property recently was sold at a foreclosure auction to a young couple who moved in with their small children. This goes against the rules of our community. Is there anything we can do?

The key criterion in that example is that the couple "moved in with their small children".

Apart from the federal law allowing for 20% to be under 55, the law also allows for the community to set other rules, such as the one The Villages has for no children under age 19 may LIVE in TV.

A person under age 19 could own a home or condo here, but they could not reside in it.

Therefore it's not the same situation as the linked article question.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
Seriously, do you think the realtors and closing law firms check to see what the ratio of over 55s to under 55s is before finalizing a sale? If there is such a data base, I wonder what the current ratio is.
It is not the job of a Realtor to know what the statistics are concerning the 55 age and the 80/20 percentages in an adult community. It is also not the job of whomever it is that does the closing to know what these ratios are. Lawyers are not the only ones who do closings.

It is up to the condo itself to accept or reject someone who is not the proper age. Usually, there is an interview followed by acceptance (with a letter which must be provided before closing), which is required for the closing. Without that letter, the property will not close.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Veteran member

The town houses mentioned are not condo - also resales are not asked about their age and there is no tally , I'm not even sure "the villages" keeps track of ages. you can also rent to any age over 19. There are some under 19 who live here and the neighbors keep quiet, they are driven to school outside of the villages.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Sage

Is I'm not mistaken, the 80% over 55 rule is a federal law. It seems to me that The Villages would be pretty stupid not to keep some kind of tally of who is living here. If the feds were to call them on it and they didn't have the numbers, they could lose their over 55 status.

Like I said only 20% of the residents have to be over 55 in order to comply.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Anyone can buy. I think approval has to be obtained if under 55 to live in the home. Children can not liven in the home for more than x months. Just opinion. I did not research.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaran View Post
The town houses mentioned are not condo - also resales are not asked about their age and there is no tally , I'm not even sure "the villages" keeps track of ages. you can also rent to any age over 19. There are some under 19 who live here and the neighbors keep quiet, they are driven to school outside of the villages.
"resales are not asked about their age and there is no tally"

This is not true. We bought a resale from owners and at closing (by McLin & Burnsed, "Closing Dept"), we had to sign a form stating at least one of us on the deed was 55.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.